Debunking the myths around renewable energy

But you'd have to grow crops to feed the camels to get the poo...where would you grow the food that you've displaced to feed the camels...? I know you're 'avin' a larf but it just shows that "going green" isn't as easy or consequence free as some people wuld have us believe....

I saw on the news a group from a University were working out ways to farm seaweed in lakes up in Scotland.

You could just dry that stuff out and burn that, cut out the camel completely.

Might not even need to grow it specially, just scoop it up from around the coast.

Bloody orrible stuff it is.

Shouldn't that be, hence it came from a star, our star is called the sun, other stars have different names. Solar relates to our sun and it hasn't exploded yet.

Picky, I know, but cyclone was correct. :o

Nope, the word 'solar' just means relating to the sun. It does not mean any star.

D'Oh!

It's a bit of a leap to call nuclear fuel 'stellar fuel'. It's not renewable, it's origins are the same as the rest of the planet, we wouldn't (often) talk about the stellar origin of the planet though.

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 07:30 ----------

Yes, I agree entirely, in fact, I said that:

regarding the wind-power, (I am beginning to feel like I am stuck in a loop here) you are right, it has to be taken into consideration that at times there won't be any production, similarly for solar. Therefore it needs to be seen as part of the total energy-mix.

The development I mentioned already has invested in a back-up diesel generator, I recently stayed at a lovely place in Lincolnshire where most of the heating came from a bio-mass plant (the estate had plenty of woodlands), such a plant can also be used to produce electricity when necessary.

A back up generator is far less efficient than a large power station though...

The main problem here is base load, and intermittent forms of energy generation are just not suited to supplying BL.

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 07:31 ----------

Nope, you're quite right.

Hence, it came from a "sun".

Hence "All energy sources are solar in one way or another." was, in fact, totally correct.

As someone already said, solar refers to Sol, the name of our particular star.

Archived