Ebay rules

They rob you for about 10% of the final fee nowadays, up to a maximum of about £40. Then they rob you even more when people pay with paypal.

What we need is Google to set up an auction site. Ebay just don't have any real competition and are getting away with daylight robbery. The site is also painfully slow when selling things.

No, we don't need google taking more market share from anyone else, ta.

As for ebay fees, they are terrible. Also it was daft for them to have been allowed to buy out paypal, as they can freeze up your money in disputes with idiot buyers that don't know what second hand means!

While you might not like Ebay or its charges it has the biggest buyer window anywhere and more often than not you get more for your items,or certainly sell better and more quickly than Ebay so it ends up being worth the cost.

Cheap advertising is just that,and you get what you pay for and Ebay you have some peace of mind that a problem will be resolved.few otehr places else gives the same security and ease of shopping.

As for paypal on cheaper items its a god send quick and simple unlike many websites where you have to start keying in card details etc.

Larger payments would always be in person anyway if you have any sense so that you can check out the item.

For me its not the costs but the arsoles that sell on Ebay who ruin it who often cant muster more than a one word reply to an email of suddenly think they are selling gold cos thay got a few emails and greed sets in only to see at the end a couple of emails was misleading and the offer they got the week before was more than they got in the end.

Nobody makes anyone use Ebay and if you dont like it then you do have a choice...

If there was a competative English version id move over but i cant see it happening.Gumtree is owned by Ebay..

Insertion fee (unless its a zero insertion day)

Final valuation fee (usually 10%)

Postage fee (usually 10%)

Paypal fee

Rip off "feebay"

As suggested, we need Google or some other big company to set up a rival auction site then feebay may lower their charges

---------- Post added 15-12-2013 at 20:42 ----------

They never used to charge fees on postage

Then people started charging 0.99 for the item and £20 for postage haha.

If you don't like the fees don't use eBay.

As for ebay fees, they are terrible. Also it was daft for them to have been allowed to buy out paypal, as they can freeze up your money in disputes with idiot buyers that don't know what second hand means!

So you don't think that Google could create a bit of competition by offering the same service but with lower charges?

As far as I'm aware ebay didn't buy Paypal, they merged instead whilst still keeping their separate identities (tax reasons) which is why you are charged a 10% final valuation fee by ebay and Paypal charges as a seller and not combined.

Ebay needs competition, then and only then will it consider the service it currently provides otherwise it won't survive.

I'm primarily a seller on ebay these days and the charges are insane, adding the Final valuation fees and the Paypal charges to the postage costs isn't in my view fair however just how are you supposed to break even if you don't?

Gumtree is full of idiots. I also joined a Sheffield group on Facebook for buying and selling stuff but I had to leave. It was just too bloody depressing seeing just how utterly stupid, rude and ignorant what seems like an entire generation of people have turned out like. :(

Big surprise there.

Isn't that much of the internet- illiterate, ignorant and staggeringly stupid?

They rob you for about 10% of the final fee nowadays, up to a maximum of about £40. Then they rob you even more when people pay with paypal.

What we need is Google to set up an auction site. Ebay just don't have any real competition and are getting away with daylight robbery. The site is also painfully slow when selling things.

I would never, ever trust Google with such a service! :o

Archived