Shaun Ryder

well wasn't expecting to get a reply from someone who knows them as personally as you - small world!

the saying goes that just about everybody is 3 people away from knowing everyone else in the world (or something like that) i.e you know someone who knows someone who etc etc

for e.g my X went to school with victoria beckham who 'knows' nelson mandella who knows the queen etc!!

erm i once built a brick fireplace for Sid Little when i lived in Torquay!

Originally posted by Bedhead

yea i can't imagine it being very sellable - Black Grape never took off and he can hardly talk now and well he could hardly ever sing could he but there again that wasn't the point of most of the indie bands of the late 80's - was more of the time kinda thing

seems like the inspiral carpets are alive and kicking and the stone roses have been well documented but what ever happened to;

the farm

charlatans

the pixies

spaceman 3

james

hmmm who else was there....?

The album is not selling at all in Australia. But I would imagine his few remaining fans are in the UK.

Did you see the film "24 Hour Party People"? It tells the Factory Records' story brilliantly.

Steve Coogan (Alan Partridge) plays Tony Wilson the head of Factory and other well-known actors play the band members from Joy Division, New Order, Happy Mondays etc.

Shaun and his brother Paul come across like the doped-up, dead-sh!its they are/were (poisoning pigeons for a laugh etc). But it's riveting stuff all the same.

Peter Kay plays the bloke who owns the pub where the first Factory nightclub was located (before the Hacienda) .

It's well worth seeing if you're into the Madchester scene. I'm not particularly into it, but I still really enjoyed the film. It's been out for ages on DVD and is probably a weekly by now

actually i haven't seen the film - i really should though

Joy Division - now yer talking 'love will tear us apart' one of my fav tunes of all time

why the f**k haven't i seen that film!

i never made it to the Hacienda - lived in torquay - used to go london astoria, shoom etc instead

anybody ever goto the hacienda from the forum??

I used to go to Manchester Uni and regulary headed for the Hacienda on weekend. My claim to fame is having Barney (Joy Division/New Order) leaning over to me with the biggest f##kin splif i have seen asking "Got a light mate?" he held my hand steady as i lit it cos it was shakin!!

It was great to see The Inspiral Carpets playing in boozers (no i'm not gonna start harpin on saying "I was into them before they were famous") to be honest i thought they were crap until they brought out 'Joe' i saw them a few times in big venues (Octagon, G-mex, Apollo) and they were class. I caught them twice on their greatest hits tour last year and saw Tom Hingley at the Casbar last June.

Great days...............:P

Johnjo - good good stuff fella

i bumped into Bez down in exeter once in a bar - sound geezer but we weren't exactly innundated with peeps from the scene then

did used to know the Shamen before they had commercial success mind - they used to live in a flat in camden - my mate knew them more than me but that was cool meeting them - although they were relative unknowns at the time

Originally posted by Bedhead

charlatans

the pixies

spaceman 3

james

The Charlatans are still around though Tim Burgess is playing solo for a while right now, dunno why.

The Pixies, if its the fantastic band i think your talking about, are 9,000,000 miles away from "Madchester", but they split up in the early 90's and have just reformed.

Spaceman 3 are now under the name 'Spiritualised' although i'm not sure if its the exact line-up, and i hate James. :)

Chris.

Archived