Being outed on SF

A few years ago I was involved in a heated debate (think it was about race /religion) and someone used my name in the thread. It ticked me off a bit as I felt they had some advantage over me. I can only guess that they worked out my identity from my posts. I chose to ignore the namecheck (on the basis that acknowledging it would give the other person some satisfaction) but it did tick me off. Has this happened to anyone else here? Does anyone else know who I am? Is identifying another poster considered bad form?

If your identity was known might you post differently? Should we all post with our real names?

Apols for the navel gazing thread - I've got the lurgy and CBA to do anything productive. Cheers all.

A few years ago I was involved in a heated debate (think it was about race /religion) and someone used my name in the thread. It ticked me off a bit as I felt they had some advantage over me. I can only guess that they worked out my identity from my posts. I chose to ignore the namecheck (on the basis that acknowledging it would give the other person some satisfaction) but it did tick me off. Has this happened to anyone else here? Does anyone else know who I am? Is identifying another poster considered bad form?

If your identity was known might you post differently? Should we all post with our real names?

Apols for the navel gazing thread - I've got the lurgy and CBA to do anything productive. Cheers all.

Is that text speak ?

I read somewhere they had a ban on that on this forum ?

As far as I know it is against forum rules to name a poster. I remember one or two who would do it as a matter of course to try to discredit a particular poster. I think most got banned.

It's never happened to me, and no, I don't know who you are. I would have thought it was considered bad form to 'out' someone, and yes I'm sure many people would post very differently if they were identified.

It's even interesting how people's public fronts disappear like Scotch mist at times, but only when they pm. There's a regular contributor who comes across as soooo nice, always offering 'blessings' who sent a pm wishing the recipient 'got <REMOVED> cancer and died' !

Hey Dingus - I think it's out of order too. Not sure I've noticed it being done to others (but I've had a three year gap on here so have missed quite a bit). A temporary ban is probably the right thing to do.

---------- Post added 16-12-2013 at 13:57 ----------

It's never happened to me, and no, I don't know who you are. I would have thought it was considered bad form to 'out' someone, and yes I'm sure many people would post very differently if they were identified.

It's even interesting how people's public fronts disappear like Scotch mist at times, but only when they pm. There's a regular contributor who comes across as soooo nice, always offering 'blessings' who sent a pm wishing the recipient 'got <REMOVED> cancer and died' !

That's funny. Any chance you might share who it was?

I would, and did at the time but got reprimanded as apparently posting pm's is against forum rules (if you name the sender)

---------- Post added 16-12-2013 at 14:00 ----------

I would, and did at the time but got reprimanded as apparently posting pm's is against forum rules (if you name the sender)

I could always pm you of course!

Ah, I see Mega. So, the anonymity aspect isn't an issue for you, I guess. I'm toying with the idea of using my real name and photo but don't think I'm brave enough. I may have put personal stuff on here over the years that I feel embarrassed about now.

Not at all. There's quite a few i've met off here too, so any one who felt the need could set up a dupe account and out me anyway.

I totally believe it's better to be yourself on here, but each to their own. :)

Archived