Being outed on SF

Someone tried to identify me relatively recently. They had my name basically correct, but spelt wrong, so presumably it came from a verbal communication or they were an idiot.

I reported it anyway and it was deleted and I suspect the user was banned.

---------- Post added 16-12-2013 at 15:50 ----------

You do seem to have a bit of a focus on a certain range of topics. It's enough to make people suspicious of your motives.

Glad you got it sorted Cyclone. Was it a malicious outing? Mine was kind of a patronising kind of outing - sort of 'oh, stop being so stupid D******'. I. Glad I ignored it and nobody else seemed to pick up on it. I think I may have outed myself to BoyFriday in a PM a few years ago but that was my choice.

---------- Post added 16-12-2013 at 16:36 ----------

No reason to lie. :)

There are pics of me by Loxley (disputed) stone circle in the news section.

Personally i believe if you post as if face to face you wont go far wrong. I did have a troll threaten to hunt me down, but he never turned up. :D

A great site G. I had a little look at yr pic. Felt a bit stalkerish, mind.

I don't know anybody on this site in real life but I guess if I asked all my friends / acquaintances a few would 'fess up to being members.

Glad you got it sorted Cyclone. Was it a malicious outing? Mine was kind of a patronising kind of outing - sort of 'oh, stop being so stupid D******'. I. Glad I ignored it and nobody else seemed to pick up on it. I think I may have outed myself to BoyFriday in a PM a few years ago but that was my choice.

I don't know anybody on this site in real life but I guess if I asked all my friends / acquaintances a few would 'fess up to being members.

Nah, it's fine. I wouldn't have the link in my sig otherwise.

Btw, i have had my children's lives threatened online, not on SF i should add, this was down to a difference of opinion on conservancy in regards to an ancient site, it was a few years back and did worry me slightly at first, then the mist came down. :hihi: Dozens of others took the idiot to task and rallied on my behalf which led to a name, those who lived nearer than myself had a little word in his ear late one night. I don't think he has an online presence any more. :D

Thanks Mort

Hi Tim - thank you for identifying yourself - I won't abuse yr honesty. I've been thinking about it and I feel happy to put my name to anything I write here but a few years ago I disclosed personal information about myself - if my employer ever became of this info it might cause me some difficulties, so, at present, I'm not willing to come out, as it were. Perhaps a fresh account might be the thing to do with my real name.

To be honest tho,I just had a quick peek at your past posts & they run to 2008 so someone could find out your identity and the posts you refer to.

I'm always conscious of the fact that people might find out who I am,but I never post anything bad so can't see why it would bother me really.a lot of people hide behind a keyboard and say things they would never say in person.

I think they were trying to claim that I was lying about something, my profession or something, but they'd simply been misinformed. It was definitely malicious though.

NO, not as such, i do try and keep a certain amount of privacy online, i normally have photos up and my age and email addy on certain places but name not generally.

however there is certain weirdos on here who seem to collect things youve posted years before and use as ammunition later on, yup theyre that sad

also had a threat of violence of The Daddy before, pretending to be a woman wanting to meet me

however i have been to meets before and possibly go to others, even meet my "enemies", met roy james before :P

Out of interest what proportion of the population of sheffiled will actually be memebers of this forum, just interested. I personally do worry about outed no because I think I'll have a brick though my window or I'll be hounded down the street, it's because personally I feel it's important to retain anonymity online.

I don't go out of my way to hide my identity. There are quite a few people who post on SF that know me in real life. It wouldn't take anybody very long to find my Facebook page, or where I live, or where I work.

I'm generally pretty careful about what I post. I'm either being factual or daft. Sometimes both at the same time. So, I really don't care if people know my real identity.

Archived