Being outed on SF

I was outed by a friend on here who accidentally used my real name in a reply to one of my posts. That didn't bother me, but I was freaked out by someone who claimed to know me and my family. It turned out they didn't, I think they'd just put one and one together and come up with three.

There are a few people on here who know who I am. One person I met after speaking to them on here, and the others are people I know through work and hobbies and during conversations found out they were members.

I wouldn't want the majority of people on here to know who I am in real life, but not because I am concerned with what they will think about my posts on here. I don't put any opinions on here that I would be afraid to say in person. But I am aware that I may have (or may in the future) have put something personal on that I might not want people I actually know to know about me...

I get it enough with clients at work thinking that they know me and being overly friendly or abusive, I certainly wouldn't want them knowing anything potentially personal about me....

There are a few people on here who know who I am. One person I met after speaking to them on here, and the others are people I know through work and hobbies and during conversations found out they were members.

I wouldn't want the majority of people on here to know who I am in real life, but not because I am concerned with what they will think about my posts on here. I don't put any opinions on here that I would be afraid to say in person. But I am aware that I may have (or may in the future) have put something personal on that I might not want people I actually know to know about me...

I get it enough with clients at work thinking that they know me and being overly friendly or abusive, I certainly wouldn't want them knowing anything potentially personal about me....

Don't worry no one will about your size 12 feet and you leave your washing out on Wednesdays.

Easy answer: use own name.

Jeffrey Shaw

That should only be allowed if admin does checks to make sure you are who you say you are.

You might have grudge against Jeffrey Shaw the solicitor and use his name to express opinions that he doesn't hold. :suspect: Which could lead to him loosing clients. Just a thought, not in any way saying that you are not who you say you are. :)

That should only be allowed if admin does checks to make sure you are who you say you are.

You might have grunge against Jeffrey Shaw the solicitor and use his name to express opinions that he doesn't hold. Which could lead to him loosing clients. Just a thought, not in any way saying that you are not who you say you are.

1. I don't like grunge. I've a grudge against it.

2. I don't loose clients. I prefer to retain them, as tightly as permissible.

3. I am my eponym. Instruct me and prove it empirically!

I don't know about the UK, but giving out your name or address on a forum, could get you into a whole lot of trouble in America. Better to keep yourself anonymous or silent, one or the other. I love this country, but not everyone who lives in it.

I don't know about the UK, but giving out your name or address on a forum, could get you into a whole lot of trouble in America. Better to keep yourself anonymous or silent, one or the other. I love this country, but not everyone who lives in it.

Too right, buck. Also, many people have guns or are just plain crazy. Or they have guns AND they're crazy! :hihi:

I suspect many more people than are SF members read here, and do you really want to give strangers the info they need to find you? Or mess with you at your place of employment or school?

A few members here know who and where I am. From reading back through my posts, a random person could track me to a specific geographic area, but it wouldn't do them much good without my real name.

I think it's better to be a bit cautious with your personal info.

Archived