End of the car windscreen wiper?

You can already get coatings which repel rain etc. For example, using PIAA's washer fluid and coating I can drive at 70mph in the rain and it beads off so quickly I actually don't need my wipers on if I chose to do so.

However, it'd be great not to need them at all, the motor on mine are really bad so it actually is hard work for the wipers to go back down against the force of the wind if I'm travelling at speed. Old car though.

You can already get coatings which repel rain etc. For example, using PIAA's washer fluid and coating I can drive at 70mph in the rain and it beads off so quickly I actually don't need my wipers on if I chose to do so.

However, it'd be great not to need them at all, the motor on mine are really bad so it actually is hard work for the wipers to go back down against the force of the wind if I'm travelling at speed. Old car though.

I've been there and used that stuff. It is great at first but grit and dust start to make defects in it to the point that one day (perhaps after 3 months)you need to use the wipers, at which point you are finished.

I spent about a week T-Cutting the windscreen to get the rubbish off again.

I can drive at 70mph in the rain and it beads off so quickly I actually don't need my wipers on if I chose to do so.

What's your stopping distance at 70 mph ( 112 kph over here) on a wet road?

Rainy days in Oz result in lots of crashes, as many drivers here have little experience of wet roads.

I've been there and used that stuff. It is great at first but grit and dust start to make defects in it to the point that one day (perhaps after 3 months)you need to use the wipers, at which point you are finished.

I spent about a week T-Cutting the windscreen to get the rubbish off again.

Never had an issue, you need to reapply every so often and I don't believe I said I never use my wipers or ever use my windscreen washers. Obviously if your windscreen is dirty you use your washers and wipers.

What's your stopping distance at 70 mph ( 112 kph over here) on a wet road?

Rainy days in Oz result in lots of crashes, as many drivers here have little experience of wet roads.

What does that have to do with windscreen wipers?

Never had an issue, you need to reapply every so often and I don't believe I said I never use my wipers or ever use my windscreen washers. Obviously if your windscreen is dirty you use your washers and wipers.

What does that have to do with windscreen wipers?

The issue is very simple. Once the surface is damaged dirt gets into the imperfections. You can reapply all you want but the grit builds up and the wipers make it worse. I certainly wouldn't start the Le Mans 24 hour race with any ambition to be able to see out of the screen on the Sunday morning. Nor would I set off on a drive down to Cornwall in the wet and expect clear vision beyond Bristol.

So the question you put to fish I can answer. Anything that affects your vision impacts on your stopping distance. Get involved in an accident where the insurance company can point to a visibility issue and you are sunk.

The issue is very simple. Once the surface is damaged dirt gets into the imperfections. You can reapply all you want but the grit builds up and the wipers make it worse. I certainly wouldn't start the Le Mans 24 hour race with any ambition to be able to see out of the screen on the Sunday morning. Nor would I set off on a drive down to Cornwall in the wet and expect clear vision beyond Bristol.

So the question you put to fish I can answer. Anything that affects your vision impacts on your stopping distance. Get involved in an accident where the insurance company can point to a visibility issue and you are sunk.

You've somehow managed to turn a thread about the end of the car windscreen wiper into "driving in the wet is dangerous" and "your windscreen gets dirty".

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make since both are obvious and common sense.

The people of SF have a wonderful of somehow managing to turn any thread into something it's nothing to do with.

Only that 70mph on wet roads can be dangerous, however good your wipers.

10mph on wet roads can be dangerous, what's your point?

You've somehow managed to turn a thread about the end of the car windscreen wiper into "driving in the wet is dangerous" and "your windscreen gets dirty".

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make since both are obvious and common sense.

The people of SF have a wonderful of somehow managing to turn any thread into something it's nothing to do with.

10mph on wet roads can be dangerous, what's your point?

As you use windscreen wipers to wipe the windscreen when it is raining the points would seem perfectly valid. It seems to be you that wants to promote an alternative to screen wipers that works only when it doesn't rain. :loopy:

In those conditions you can manage without a top for your convertible.All you need to do is work out how to prevent it raining again.

Archived