Feeling Chrismassy yet?

I've got my decorations up, presents mostly bought and wrapped and Christmas day's food sort of organised, but I don't feel even a tiny bit in the Christmas mood, and I don't know why.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being totally flat about the whole thing and 10 being excited and overflowing with the Christmas spirit, where are you right now?

No. Surely only Christians do.

And, if so, how come that Oliver Cromwell abolished it?

I don't care if it's Christian or not (though I suspect the latter) ... I just like the idea of meeting up with friends and family (some coming from other countries) and having fun for a few days.

In answer to O/P ... about two at the mo, mainly because I've been wrapping presents all afternoon, and also because I finished a painting I've spent the last three months on earlier this morning (apart from signing it) ... a significant day for me! :)

I think you can regard Christmas as either a Religious Festival or a Pagan winter festival, either way, it's a festival that brightens up the long dark days of winter. I think we all need something to cheer us up and this is it.

Personally I'm quietly looking forward to it. Even if you're on your own it's a chance to spoil yourself a bit, put your feet up and watch some good telly.

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 20:25 ----------

Nope. The Roundheads were, I understand, quite staunch Christians.

Yet Oliver Cromwell decided that Xmas was pagan and unchristian. See http://www.olivercromwell.org/faqs4.htm

Oliver Cromwell, a staunch Puritan, saw Christmas as a purely Religious occasion, and banned any form of celebration (which, to his mind, smacked of paganism,) thus things like mince pies, Yule logs and wassailling were outlawed. People did however have to attend Church.

Just been watching 'Wartime Farm Christmas Special.' (BBC 2)

I am so full of admiration for that generation. What they went through, yet the amount of good will and stoicism they could still generate seems amazing. Incredibly innovative and resourceful. Truly remarkable people.

I wonder how we'd cope in similar circumstances....?

I've got my decorations up, presents mostly bought and wrapped and Christmas day's food sort of organised, but I don't feel even a tiny bit in the Christmas mood, and I don't know why.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being totally flat about the whole thing and 10 being excited and overflowing with the Christmas spirit, where are you right now?

I'm about a 9 until hristmas Eve

No. Surely only Christians do.

And, if so, how come that Oliver Cromwell abolished it?

"Surely" ?

I'm no Christian but I love Christmas

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 23:09 ----------

I think you can regard Christmas as either a Religious Festival or a Pagan winter festival

...or even better, just a festival

Archived