Interior Designer Required

I am a 33 year old chap who lives alone in a 1 bedroom flat and am needing some inspiration to spruce up my lounge.

The living room is a large square box shaped room with a 3 seater sofa on the back wall, my TV is on the wall in the opposite corner with the computer desk next to it in the middle of that wall.

The rest of the room has nothing in it, meaning a big space in the middle and tall walls that it looks rather empty and cold.

I do have neutral colour scheme on walls and carpets with some funky canvas art dotted around.

But need to at least fill the space with cosy yet functional items that can make it much more homely and comfortable.

I do feel rather down about it, I know what I need to get in terms of furniture but do not have the means to get what I need.

I would be happy to do some favours for people for some insight in my day to day living situation.

Kind regards

Jay :)

You need a coffe table in the empty bit in the middle between your sofa and tv, maybe a rug as well.

Cushions on the sofa

Walls feel too tall? - paint a stripe all around the walls - from where the wall meets the ceiling down - the thicker the stripe the more it'll make the ceiling seem lower

Google for charity shops that sell furniture, Gumtree and Ebay are also good for cheap household items.

Personally, I'd lower the ceiling and raise the floor ... nothing too much, three to four foot say in total. This'll make the room look much bigger dimensionally, with the added bonus of there being much less to decorate! :thumbsup:

That would cost a fortune and would be a huge mess :hihi:

I think getting a large rug for the middle and a nice coffee table.

I have been playing around with the idea of repainting the room but cannot do with the mess and expense rite now.

Pattern and warm colours will help.

What about a feature wall in a patterned wallpaper and possibly also the chimney breast?

Keep the other walls plain but pick a colour from the wallpaper. In fact stick to no more than 3 complimentary colours in the entire scheme.

Soft furnishings like rugs, throws, cushions will add warmth and interest (also in one of the three colours.)

What about getting a couple of books from the library or charity shops on basic interior design. There are loads. They might help.

A large beanbag or pouffe (;)). These are relatively cheap, come in all shapes, colours, fabrics and sizes and are very versatile, as can be used as a footrest, chair or extra coffee table. Together with a nice rug, can make a rather bare space instantly look more homely. Another thing that makes a big difference is lighting. I would have a couple of lamps, maybe one floor lamp and one table lamp, with neutral shades.

Personally, I'd lower the ceiling and raise the floor ... nothing too much, three to four foot say in total. This'll make the room look much bigger dimensionally, with the added bonus of there being much less to decorate! :thumbsup:

Crazy work and mess!

Thanks for the help guys, could do with Changing Rooms coming round, on second thoughts maybe not :hihi:

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 23:32 ----------

Maybe lol

I think a coffee table and a nice rug will fill the void so to speak. How big is the tv?

32 inch, would prefer 42 for the size of room it is.

Archived