Cable on London: Sucking life out of the rest of the UK

The place has changed a lot in the last twenty years or so, I used to like going to London you could park your car have a walk round enjoy a bit of time looking around the place,now when I go there I cant wait to get out,every one is in a rush pushing and shoving.I do some courier work and I tern jobs down to London a lot as it is just not profitable with the amount of time it takes to get trough the traffic and the congestion charge is a joke.the place sucks the life out of me when ever I go there that's for sure,I had to deliver a package to Admiralty house sw1 there is absolutely no parking anywhere near the place I ended up parking my van in wembley and taking the underground train to get there.the best thing about London is the sign on the A1 that says the north...

No it doesn't. It contributes about a third of the UK's GDP.

That's London's GDP, but according to ONS the average Londoner contributes £16,000 more to the UK's national income. Which contributes far more in taxes than what they get back in government spending.

I think we can all agree that London is an economic powerhouse, but that doesn't mean that the UK shouldn't do more to spread the wealth in the country. There is no stipulation that states that businesses should locate in or near London, yet a lot of them do because of infrastructural reasons. It would make sense to alter the level of charges levied at businesses not in London to such a point that businesses will consider areas outside. The only problem with this is that the government makes more on the current model, so that would hurt the tax income.

Always has been like this and always will be........... to most southern MPs and Londoners, nothing exists of any importance outside of their 'great ' city.

( I used to live and work in London)

No it hasn't always been like this. From the Industrial Revolution onwards, the North of England was the engine of the Empire, bringing wealth and prosperity to cities like Leeds, Bradford, Newcastle and Sheffield. We wouldn't have our grand town halls and civic buildings if it wasn't for the money that coal, steel and cloth brought.

It's all gone now of course, and we are left with nothing to replace it. Meanwhile the emphasis is now the money markets and the service industries, centred in London.

No one will move out of London because they know they will never be able to move back in. It's bursting at the seams and rents are sky high.

They are totally insular; know nothing about the North, and care even less.

They are quite happy to sacrifice the North to its fate, and abandon it in its decline. It will become like a third world country unless something is done.

Come on Dentzler give us the figures.

Think you would find without the flow of people supoorting it then it would have diffciulty surviving. It is where it is partly becayse it is the centre of power and finance for the whole country.

They're not 'my' figures. I read it in the Economist but you'll need a subscription to read the whole article.

However this article and several others repeat the same facts.

http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/business-news/business/sophie-hobson-we-all-have-a-responsibility-to-secure-britains-future/5424.article

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 23:23 ----------

No it hasn't always been like this. From the Industrial Revolution onwards, the North of England was the engine of the Empire, bringing wealth and prosperity to cities like Leeds, Bradford, Newcastle and Sheffield. We wouldn't have our grand town halls and civic buildings if it wasn't for the money that coal, steel and cloth brought.

It's all gone now of course, and we are left with nothing to replace it. Meanwhile the emphasis is now the money markets and the service industries, centred in London.

No one will move out of London because they know they will never be able to move back in. It's bursting at the seams and rents are sky high.

They are totally insular; know nothing about the North, and care even less.

They are quite happy to sacrifice the North to its fate, and abandon it in its decline. It will become like a third world country unless something is done.

London is currently engine of the UK and north heavily relies upon it. Any investment and growth in London is also great for the rest of the UK.

My home city Highland Park Michigan the home of Ford- the automobile was once an industrial economic powerhouse and is now mostly urban wasteland. Times change but it's stupid to want to cripple growth in New York because Highland Park / Detroit has little / none.

Why the hatred and stupid sweeping generalisations about Londoners? It's arguably the most diverse city in the world.

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 23:27 ----------

Parliament needs to more out of London. Too many politicians are stuck in a London-centric bubble. Move it to the middle of the country, in a modern building.

yes and the USA should move Congress to Kansas.

My home city Highland Park Michigan the home of Ford- the automobile was once an industrial economic powerhouse and is now mostly urban wasteland. Times change but it's stupid to want to cripple growth in New York because Highland Park / Detroit has little / none.

Why the hatred and stupid sweeping generalisations about Londoners? It's arguably the most diverse city in the world.

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 23:27 ----------

yes and the USA should move Congress to Kansas.

So, how is Detroit these days? Well, I trust. And Philadelphia? Birthplace of the US?

Don't get me started on the US as an example of London being good for the whole of the UK.

Archived