Duck for Christmas - have I left it too late?

Nagel

I am sure I have seen someone do duck for Christmas on the telly? I wonder if it is the go-to alternative for this year?

Duck is OK if there are just two of you but not really enough meat for a family. I think roasting duck isn't the best way to cook it either - breast is best fried or grilled (it needs to be a bit rare in the middle IMHO), while leg is best done in a slow cooker until tender, left overnight in its own fat and then fried the next day (bit like a french "confit").

Spuds fried in duck fat are a better accompaniment than roasties for duck.

Duck is OK if there are just two of you but not really enough meat for a family. I think roasting duck isn't the best way to cook it either - breast is best fried or grilled (it needs to be a bit rare in the middle IMHO), while leg is best done in a slow cooker until tender, left overnight in its own fat and then fried the next day (bit like a french "confit").

Spuds fried in duck fat are a better accompaniment than roasties for duck.

It is a nice addition to the table though, doesn't have to be the main. Agreed on the preparation though, a nice duckbreast with cranberry sauce is brilliant.

---------- Post added 21-12-2013 at 15:37 ----------

Do duck and goose taste gamey?

Hmmm tricky to say because that depends on how you define gamey. To me duck has a lot more flavour than say a chicken, does that make it gamey?

I found a duck today. Tesco and Sainsbury didn't have them although Tesco had an odd easy-carve boned and stuffed version, which we didn't fancy.

Waitrose had Gressingham Ducks, which I've had before and are excellent, so we bought one.

Since there's 3 of us a duck is just right in size with very little left over, but who wants to eat cold duck when all the fat has congealed?

Archived