Muslims helping to get money to repair place of worship

They talked about this on the radio today when discussing the attacks on Christians by Muslims in places like Egypt. Its a good news story but is very small fry when you compare the ongoing church burnings going on in Egypt and other parts of the world.

There was also talk of a church that allowed Muslims to use its facilities while their mosque was being renovated.

C'mon Wex. I'm happy to be critical of Islam at times but this IS a great story and should be celebrated. Small fry, perhaps, at a world level but a very, very big deal in Bradford. If you, like me, would like certain aspects of Islam to be more progressive then we must give praise when they are progressive. A constant drip, drip, drip of negativity only seves to polarise people and makes people defend their adopted positions even more staunchly. Cheers, D.

C'mon Wex. I'm happy to be critical of Islam at times but this IS a great story and should be celebrated. Small fry, perhaps, at a world level but a very, very big deal in Bradford. If you, like me, would like certain aspects of Islam to be more progressive then we must give praise when they are progressive. A constant drip, drip, drip of negativity only seves to polarise people and makes people defend their adopted positions even more staunchly. Cheers, D.

Like I said its a good news story but pales in comparison to what happening in the world at large. It may be a big deal locally but that means nothing to the 10's of thousands of Christians being displaced, in some cases attacked and even killed around the world by Muslims.

Locally, good news. In the grand scale, small fry.

Why's that then?

The story is essentially about Muslims helping Jews. That's the headline.

The Muslims only started to help the synagogue by chance, explains Leavor. He had been approached by Zulficar Ali, owner of Bradford's popular Sweet Centre restaurant, which is just a few doors away from the synagogue. Ali wanted Leavor to help oppose a planning permission for yet another curry house in the area. Leavor agreed and together managed to block the application. Ali then introduced Leavor to a local social enterprise, the Carlisle Business Centre, which awards grants to worthy causes. They gave several hundred pounds for emergency roof repairs, and a local businessman, Khalid Pervais, donated a further £1,400.

So the Rabbi was approached by a Muslim businessman who wanted his help in blocking a planning application from a rival business.

Pardon my memory, but I don't remember The Guardian running a story about a Jew helping a Muslim block a planning application. Obviously the Rabbi isn't astute enough in the world of PR.

Also how credible is the headline that the Synagogue was saved by Muslims?

The Synagogue got £103,000 from the lottery, and £25,000 from Bradford Council. The only monetary reference to a donation that may be from a Muslim was £1,400 from one local businessman, Khalid Pervais. Whilst admirable, that far from qualifies as "saved by Muslims" compared with the £128,000 from the lottery and council.

A more accurate headline might be "Synagogue saved by Lottery and Council".

The story is essentially about Muslims helping Jews. That's the headline.

So the Rabbi was approached by a Muslim businessman who wanted his help in blocking a planning application from a rival business.

Pardon my memory, but I don't remember The Guardian running a story about a Jew helping a Muslim block a planning application. Obviously the Rabbi isn't astute enough in the world of PR.

Also how credible is the headline that the Synagogue was saved by Muslims?

The Synagogue got £103,000 from the lottery, and £25,000 from Bradford Council. The only monetary reference to a donation that may be from a Muslim was £1,400 from one local businessman, Khalid Pervais. Whilst admirable, that far from qualifies as "saved by Muslims" compared with the £128,000 from the lottery and council.

A more accurate headline might be "Synagogue saved by Lottery and Council".

Read the title from the OP. "Muslims helping to get money to repair place of worship". There is nothing misleading about that..it happened. The real point here is Jews and Islamics forming a bond regardless of any cynicism.

If it takes a financial deal to get people to knock heads together rather blowing each others brains out then fine, let them get on with it, it sits well enough with me. If you want to kill or make friends over finance then at least it's based on something tangible. Unlike religion which isn't.

Read the title from the OP. "Muslims helping to get money to repair place of worship". There is nothing misleading about that..it happened. The real point here is Jews and Islamics forming a bond regardless of any cynicism.

If it takes a financial deal to get people to knock heads together rather blowing each others brains out then fine, let them get on with it, it sits well enough with me. If you want to kill or make friends over finance then at least it's based on something tangible. Unlike religion which isn't.

I don't have an issue with the thread title, it's more accurate than The Guardian headline.

But they weren't blowing each others brains out in the first place, I doubt they were even abusing each other on the streets. And its nothing new, people helping each other happens all the time.

Here are some similar stories.

Israeli millionaire builds mosque in France

Jewish businessman Robert Harush who grew up in Ashkelon spends fortune on renovation of large Muslim house of worship in Montereau, in effort to promote co-existence.

Jews help guard UK mosques after attacks

Muslims leaders recruit ultra-orthodox neighbourhood patrol to help keep one London area safe after attacks and threats.

Well I think its a great story for a change.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know how many registered Mosques there are in Darnall ?

I was told it was about 400 but that seems way too high for such a small place.

A place of religious worship is exempt from council tax if the premises are used and available for public religious worship. Might be a good reason to turn your house into a place of religious worship.

Archived