How to get to the peaks?

Hi, this may come across like a stupid question, but anyway. I'm very interested in going to the peaks for some solo walking, group walking (anyone suggest any groups?), cycling, etc... depending on my mood. But I've never been and I'm wondering how I get there, assuming I don't drive (and I live in Walkley). Is there a train station that I head to, or a tram stop, or a bus that I catch, or...?

Also could anyone recommend some populer walks to get me started or places to go?

Thanks

Ok, so once I get off at Edale... where do I go? As you can see I'm a bit new here :) Any website that lists decent walks to go on or cycle routes or something?

Thanks

As you leave the train station, if you turn left, the start of the Pennine Way is at the side of the pub (Nags Head?). If you turn right and right again you get to walk/ride over Mam Tor, down into Castleton (down Wynatts Pass), along to Hope, where you can catch the train back home,( or the bus from Castleton ).

Archived