Farmers subsidies

why is it we pay farmers 50 BILION a year in subsidies yet moan at a 12 billion a year benifit bill?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Could you please post facts rather than some made up numbers, or unfounded numbers?

50 billion pounds (56 billion euro) a year is the total EU farming subsidy (2012), not the UK farming subsidy.

The benefit bill, depending on your definition of benefit for 2013 in the UK is 220 billion pounds.

Is it your custom to compare apples and pears?

---------- Post added 21-12-2013 at 10:14 ----------

Yep, and all you can do about it is vote UKIP. :)

Ah, look who is immediately on top of this pack of nonsense to promote UKIP, I suppose you didn't bother checking the facts either.

---------- Post added 21-12-2013 at 10:15 ----------

Oh and just to be clear: I agree the EU farming subsidy system needs drastic reform.

What else could anyone do to stop farming subsidies being paid to UK farmers.

Stopping farming subsidies to UK farmers will destroy the UK farming industry. It will be unable to compete with other local farmers - hence the farmer in the OP saying he could happily give up his subsidy, only provided everyone else did too.

But what happens if we stop the subsidies to everyone? Food will get more expensive as the farmers increase their prices to compensate. So we won't save any money - quite the opposite actually - instead of a proportion of our food costs being taken in the form of taxes, we'll be paying it directly, as well as the taxes.

Besides, UKIP don't want to scrap the farming subsidies and have pledged to maintain them in the event of leaving Europe. (I would link to their Farming policy, but unfortunately they seem to have removed it from the UKIP website - instead you'll have to Google it to find the quotes - there's plenty of them).

Stopping farming subsidies to UK farmers will destroy the UK farming industry. It will be unable to compete with other local farmers - hence the farmer in the OP saying he could happily give up his subsidy, only provided everyone else did too.

But what happens if we stop the subsidies to everyone? Food will get more expensive as the farmers increase their prices to compensate. So we won't save any money - quite the opposite actually - instead of a proportion of our food costs being taken in the form of taxes, we'll be paying it directly, as well as the taxes.

Besides, UKIP don't want to scrap the farming subsidies and have pledged to maintain them in the event of leaving Europe. (I would link to their Farming policy, but unfortunately they seem to have removed it from the UKIP website - instead you'll have to Google it to find the quotes - there's plenty of them).

Your link pointed to wind farm subsidies, but a change of search time and I found this.

Why Britain’s Farmers should back UKIP

Which does confirm that UKIP support subsidies to farmers, but not the CAP bureaucracy that comes from the EU.

Your link pointed to wind farm subsidies

Wrong. The first and sixth results are about wind farms admittedly, but the other eight are about farming subsidies (and the CAP). Your link appears as the ninth result in my search.

The point still stands, UKIP are not planning to stop/scrap farming subsidies.

Wrong. The first and sixth results are about wind farms admittedly, but the other eight are about farming subsidies (and the CAP). Your link appears as the ninth result in my search.

The point still stands, UKIP are not planning to stop/scrap farming subsidies.

It wasn't when I opened the link, they were all about wind farm subsidies, but that's irrelevant because I already agreed with you regarding UKIP and farming subsidies.

Archived