Today (21st Dec) is the shortest day.

Janus

What puzzles me about this time of year is that afternoons start to get dark later almost immediately after the solstice. Mornings don't get light earlier straight away though and in fact according to the above link they continue to get light LATER into January.

I googled this for an explanation and found this; http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/questions/question/3173/

I don't know if it's right but there must be some strange scientific reason.

No, I mean that the clocks are not put back in November, but in October.

In California it's first Sunday in November. My point was why does it have to be done? Most people would prefer daylight after work not in the morning.

Arizona never put their clocks back. On DST all year round and seem to get along just fine.

I think we just have to be stupid to fall in line with everyone else

In California it's first Sunday in November. My point was why does it have to be done? Most people would prefer daylight after work not in the morning.

Arizona never put their clocks back. On DST all year round and seem to get along just fine.

I think we just have to be stupid to fall in line with everyone else

It's a safety thing. Most parents would rather have earlier light in the morning as their kids head off to school.

Archived