Should English Heritage Change?

There is a current exhibition in London which shows what the city would have looked like if various new buildings had been approved permission.

They do a pretty good job although I agree that some things slip through the net, like the example you describe - O2 Academy.

What net has the O2 Academy slipped through?

I am a big fan of English Heritage, they do great work with old mansions and the like. If I remember correctly listed buildings aren't automatically in the care of English Heritage, nor do they always decide what gets listed, they just hold the registry.

There is however a problem with listed buildings, regulations are too strict in some cases and it is too cumbersome to come to acceptable modifications, certainly when budgets are tight.

Park Hill however, shows that there is a sense of realism, the rebuild is, in my opinion, very sympathetic and renewing at the same time.

The problem in my opinion is that it is a national institute, it would be better to have regional institutes that are run by people who have a lot of knowledge of local sensitivities and what is important to preserve the history in that area, for example, there are not many steel mills listed in Sheffield, why not?

I am a big fan of English Heritage, they do great work with old mansions and the like. If I remember correctly listed buildings aren't automatically in the care of English Heritage, nor do they always decide what gets listed, they just hold the registry.

There is however a problem with listed buildings, regulations are too strict in some cases and it is too cumbersome to come to acceptable modifications, certainly when budgets are tight.

Park Hill however, shows that there is a sense of realism, the rebuild is, in my opinion, very sympathetic and renewing at the same time.

The problem in my opinion is that it is a national institute, it would be better to have regional institutes that are run by people who have a lot of knowledge of local sensitivities and what is important to preserve the history in that area, for example, there are not many steel mills listed in Sheffield, why not?

Agree about the steel mills, the area between Centertainment Park and Meadowhall is a wasteland :roll:

Listed buildings that fall apart through lack of maintenance don't fall down because English Heritage is too strict, they fall down because those responsible for them won't spend the money properly maintaining them.

Such buildings are protected because if developers had their way they would flatten buildings like Sheffield Cathedral to build things like that 32 storey brown tower to maximise profitability through maximum floorspace constructed of minimum quality.

As for Roxy being dirty I can't see how being listed or not prevents the owners from cleaning it. And since it isn't listed there is nothing to stop the owners from replacing the carpets or redecorating. Except of course that it would cost money.

As for Roxy being dirty I can't see how being listed or not prevents the owners from cleaning it. And since it isn't listed there is nothing to stop the owners from replacing the carpets or redecorating. Except of course that it would cost money.

It isn't listed :loopy:

Archived