Tiny creatures in my egg box

Whenever I buy eggs, after a while I always notice the tiniest of creepy crawlies in the cardboard egg box. Has anybody else come across these? They are just about visible to the human eye and are as small as those tiny orange creatures that appear in the summer.

do you mean chiggers? tiny red mites?

No, these far too big as this video shows.

The ones I have seen are the size of a dot you make with your pen. They are so small that when I have spotted them on my book or newspaper in the garden in summer, and flick them away, I accidentally end up killing them.

---------- Post added 21-12-2013 at 22:56 ----------

I've just spotted this picture and description. It states they are barely visible to the naked eye. So these could be the ones in the garden in summer.

http://www.medicinenet.com/chiggers_bites/page2.htm

I think you mean the Red Spider Mite Wex ?

No, the red spider mite (Tetranychus urticae) is a plant feeding mite while a chigger is the common name for the Trombiculidae family of mites which feed on animals, especially chickens. They can actually kill them.

The two do appear to be similar as they are both mites:

Spider Mite

Chigger

---------- Post added 22-12-2013 at 11:03 ----------

No, these far too big as this video shows.

Chiggers do start off very small, almost invisible to the naked eye.

Archived