WW1 Cemetery Tours - France / Belguim

Has anyone knowledge of a company or an individual who arranges WW1 cemetery tours to meet the specific needs of folks i.e. visiting cemeteries / memorials where a family member is buried / commemorated rather than on a pre arranged tour such as those provided by Leger Travel ?

---------- Post added 23-12-2013 at 20:41 ----------

Further to my previous post. I went on a tour in 1987 organised by an ex Sheffield Hallam University guy who think was called Lee Chapman. Anyone remember that tour or Lee ?

Hi Runningman. Are you able to drive? If so, why not just go yourself? There are loads of lovely B+Bs in the areas where the cemetaries are. Driving in France is an absolute pleasure compared to England.

A bit of research on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website should enable you to track down your relatives. There are some excellent memorials and museums in the Somme as well.

I did this a few years back, just jumped in car and took myself off for 4 or 5 days, lovely drive to Normandy stopping at couple of places en route, went to all 5 D-Day beaches as well as the cemeteries, a lot of memorials and ww2 museums in the area, went to dead mans corner which is now a museum too, st mere eglise where the 101st Airbourne landed and one famously got tangled on the church spire, they have a mannequin in full battle dress hanging from the spire now, also went to caan, the beaches still have tanks, landing vehicles and look out shelters in situ, even part of the man made rd at Juno beach, just go by yourself and travel around at your own leisure you will see more that way, very poignant at places but I'm glad I went and I bet you will be too, the cemeteries are kept beautifully clean and tidy, puts ours to shame, the American cemetery overlooks one of the beaches, Omaha I think, can't quite remember, it has a museum on site and a beautiful huge memorial wall inscribed with all the names who fell on D-Day

---------- Post added 24-12-2013 at 18:59 ----------

Ahh just re read your post and see you wrote WW1, my apologies as I was referring to WW2

Toured the British, American, Canadian and German cemeteries in Normandy a few years back. We stayed at a small hotel in Bayeux and the owner arranged the tour. A young woman was our tour guide and came with a small bus. Spoke excellent English and knew everything there was to know

Archived