Who's on Facebook?

Facebook is just like MySpace, except it lives a bit longer. In my research I have found that the only reason people use Facebook is to maintain weak link ties with people they want to remember. The simple fact is that Facebook is screwing that up too often because of trust issues, soon there will be a new application platform to overtake Facebook, just as Facebook overtook MySpace.

My money is actually on Google Plus, although I hardly use it, but the draw of Google is bigger than that of Facebook long term. On the other hand, some kid in Malta might have the right idea and be developing the next big thing, who knows.

My advice: don't buy shares in Facebook.

Facebook is just like MySpace, except it lives a bit longer. In my research I have found that the only reason people use Facebook is to maintain weak link ties with people they want to remember. The simple fact is that Facebook is screwing that up too often because of trust issues, soon there will be a new application platform to overtake Facebook, just as Facebook overtook MySpace.

My money is actually on Google Plus, although I hardly use it, but the draw of Google is bigger than that of Facebook long term. On the other hand, some kid in Malta might have the right idea and be developing the next big thing, who knows.

That's not my experience. :roll:

I'm a member of several FB based archaeological groups who provide up to date info that's rarely posted elsewhere. I also use a private group where discussions on theories can be had in a troll free environment. I've met people through those groups that i wouldn't have otherwise, people who have become "in the flesh" friends. :)

Well, considering Google has as much concern for your privacy as a tabloid newspaper.

I felt much better coming off it when I did, I was writing things that was speaking my mind but others had no time for it, I was also taking things too literally when I posted stuff and people not replying, when other people had certain status information just to wind you up like posts about when and where they were every moment of the day, and people bragging about their family and kids and changing relationship statuses quicker than you can say cast away.

It is not the best place to air your problems as it got me to the point of not wanting to live or even heading off abroad and never coming back, seeing family posting stuff to just wind you up, like some sort of power game, I also think that people who use that can get hooked in a negative way, like being dependent on it.

That's not my experience. :roll:

I'm a member of several FB based archaeological groups who provide up to date info that's rarely posted elsewhere. I also use a private group where discussions on theories can be had in a troll free environment. I've met people through those groups that i wouldn't have otherwise, people who have become "in the flesh" friends. :)

Fair enough, shouldn't have said only. Fact is though that Facebook simply replaced a lot of different platforms for people to stay in touch on an informal level. You are using it well, majority of people don't.

Well, considering Google has as much concern for your privacy as a tabloid newspaper.

I felt much better coming off it when I did, I was writing things that was speaking my mind but others had no time for it, I was also taking things too literally when I posted stuff and people not replying, when other people had certain status information just to wind you up like posts about when and where they were every moment of the day, and people bragging about their family and kids and changing relationship statuses quicker than you can say cast away.

It is not the best place to air your problems as it got me to the point of not wanting to live or even heading off abroad and never coming back, seeing family posting stuff to just wind you up, like some sort of power game, I also think that people who use that can get hooked in a negative way, like being dependent on it.

Google Plus is just a guess on my behalf, based on recent research that shows that people are either ignorant or non-caring about private details on the web. Google has the big advantage that it already knows bucket loads about people and can adapt its social network to fit that, hence the recent Youtube changes. Still, it is more likely that a new candidate will emerge, I have a lot of faith in LinkedIn for example, simply because it is very targeted at career stuff.

I also love Twitter, but again, it might be super-ceded.

Archived