BBC Christmas absolute rubbish

Lobos

A "soccer aid" football match with celebrities etc. A top movie from the past year, one that hasn't been seen on Sky, DVD, netflix etc. A major drama with A-list actors. Variety show with all the top singers, comedians, etc. The list goes on and on. They have 5 billion pounds to spend.

The Superbowl in America still does record breaking ratings nearly every year, despite all the technology. So it is possible, BBC needs to stop making excuses and buck their ideas up, or else the licence fee will be abolished.

You really need to think a little bit more about your suggestions.

You want to put a football match on during football's most busiest period, when football fans also have a myriad of other things to do. That's a non starter.

Next you want the BBC to pursued the movie producers to write off hundreds of millions of pounds and hold back on releasing one of their big block busters to DVD, then to Sky and Netflix? For example Frozen, the big Disney production this year made $400 million from DVD and Blu Ray sales alone, that is before Sky and Netflix et al paid them for the rights to show the movie. This is a non starter again.

You then go on to compare the figures to the major sporting event in the USA that is only shown on one channel with entertainment TV. You cannot compare the two. Ignoring the exclusivity point, the sporting event is best watched live, entertainment can be watched whenever it suits the viewer.

Try again with some more suggestions.

You want to put a football match on during football's most busiest period, when football fans also have a myriad of other things to do. That's a non starter.

Next you want the BBC to pursued the movie producers to write off hundreds of millions of pounds and hold back on releasing one of their big block busters to DVD, then to Sky and Netflix? For example Frozen, the big Disney production this year made $400 million from DVD and Blu Ray sales alone, that is before Sky and Netflix et al paid them for the rights to show the movie. This is a non starter again.

You then go on to compare the figures to the major sporting event in the USA that is only shown on one channel with entertainment TV. You cannot compare the two. Ignoring the exclusivity point, the sporting event is best watched live, entertainment can be watched whenever it suits the viewer.

not to mention a football match would alienate half the population whod switch off, cos not everybodys into football

None of them programs you mention would I watch

Mrs browns boys a cross dresser swearing all the time not my idea of entertainment..

Come frigging dancing I would sooner jam a chainsaw up my arse than watch that nauseating program..

Eastenders depressing drivill nothing but people arguing and shouting..

Call the midwife was OK as the wife likes that..

Maranda,,,about as funny as a wet fart..

Dr who stupid ridiculous stories with infuriating annoying loud background music going on all the time.

Bit like Sheffield Forum :hihi:

Agree with general feeling on thread that Christmas television is cack; though this year is worse than usual

None of them programs you mention would I watch

Mrs browns boys a cross dresser swearing all the time not my idea of entertainment..

Come frigging dancing I would sooner jam a chainsaw up my arse than watch that nauseating program..

Eastenders depressing drivill nothing but people arguing and shouting..

Call the midwife was OK as the wife likes that..

Maranda,,,about as funny as a wet fart..

Dr who stupid ridiculous stories with infuriating annoying loud background music going on all the time.

I like Mrs Browns Boys. Who cares if it's a bloke in drag? Danny LaRue was a national treasure, and Lily Savage was so funny, and they were drag artistes.

Yes, some of Mbb's jokes are old, and they are set up in such a way that you can see them coming a mile off, but that can make them all-the-funnier.

I like Mrs Browns Boys. Who cares if it's a bloke in drag? Danny LaRue was a national treasure, and Lily Savage was so funny, and they were drag artistes.

Yes, some of Mbb's jokes are old, and they are set up in such a way that you can see them coming a mile off, but that can make them all-the-funnier.

It is a very clever show, particularly when they 'break the wall' and ad-lib.

It goes on National Tour and always sells out.

Must be doing something right.

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 12:41 ----------

People just don't realise how times have changed.

Go back to Christmas in the 90s, I remember watching Indiana Jones and Back to the Future on TV. These got big ratings, close to 10 million. I had seen them at the cinema but aside from hiring out a video (which was £4 a time) the only other chance to see it was on TV. The films had been on Sky, but fery few people had Sky. I remember a friend taping Home Alone off Sky when it came on.

These days though there are so many outlets for watching films that by the time they come to TV people have seen them.

A "soccer aid" football match with celebrities etc. A top movie from the past year, one that hasn't been seen on Sky, DVD, netflix etc. A major drama with A-list actors. Variety show with all the top singers, comedians, etc. The list goes on and on. They have 5 billion pounds to spend.

The Superbowl in America still does record breaking ratings nearly every year, despite all the technology. So it is possible, BBC needs to stop making excuses and buck their ideas up, or else the licence fee will be abolished.

The one thing I did want to watch I went & forgot about - The haunting of Radcliffe House. That looked fantastic from the previews I saw & it had Olivia Wilde in too! Will find out if its going to be repeated.

Forget about variety shows though - they do the Royal Variety Performance each year & it's a pukefest

The one thing I did want to watch I went & forgot about - The haunting of Radcliffe House. That looked fantastic from the previews I saw & it had Olivia Wilde in too! Will find out if its going to be repeated.

Forget about variety shows though - they do the Royal Variety Performance each year & it's a pukefest

David Walliams special had Jennifer Saunders, Kate Moss, Tim McInnery as supporting cast, aside a strong main cast.

Victoria Wood's special had Imelda Staunton, Michael Ball and Daniel Rigby.

Esio Trot on New Years Day has Dame Judi Dench and Dustin Hoffman.

And the amazing Last Tango in Halifax starts again tonight with a stellar cast.

Really don't get what people are moaning at? There's always Channel 5 if they struggle to follow the story.

A lot of those would be the same people watching all night. It wasn't that long ago that over 20 million people were watching the the big shows on Christmas night. Blame technology all you want but if the stations were putting out can't miss "event TV", people would watch, it's Christmas day so most people are at home and not having to fit viewing round work or other responsibilities.

Put better programmes on.

Cough Cough. ^^^^^^^

What's your point? Is this one of the big movies you talk about? Still got less total viewers than Eastenders and Mrs Browns Boys.

Are you saying now that this year's xmas television was good then?