Anti semetic or anti zionist?

I don't know the history of the gesture and I don't really care, because I guess people will tell you different things depending on their own agenda.

Because of all the fuss I did youtube it yesterday and have to say my initial reactions was - Is that it?

I was expecting some really obvious gesture like a Nazi salute and a bit of a goose step around a la Basil Fawlty.

It seems something and nothing to me, but clearly some people are offended by it. If Anelka made the gesture knowing it would offend then he's another idiot footballer. He's there to play football, not make stupid political gestures that are likely to offend.

Regards

Doom

Anelka has now been charged; http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/21/nicolas-anelka-charged-fa-quenelle-gesture

---------- Post added 21-01-2014 at 10:51 ----------

I was expecting some really obvious gesture like a Nazi salute and a bit of a goose step around a la Basil Fawlty.

That's not really the point. The gesture is well known in France for its anti-Semitism. Anelka is French and knew what he was doing

That's not really the point. The gesture is well known in France for its anti-Semitism. Anelka is French and knew what he was doing

Different countrie have different customs and laws; it would be chaos is every law applied in every country, we should be just concerned with our countries laws.

The age of consent in France is 15, should we apply that law too?

Different countrie have different customs and laws; it would be chaos is every law applied in every country, we should be just concerned with our countries laws.

Football is a global game and its ruling bodies, nationally and internationally have all ran high profile anti racism campaigns aimed at players as well as supporters.Anelka isn't being charged by the UK police,he is being charged by the Premier League so it goes beyond the laws of a country,it is internal politics of a business that employs Anelka and he has a duty to make sure that he stays on the right side of the guidelines laid down by the business and industry he is employed in.......he has failed to do that,it is a lack of judgement on his part,total stupidity where he put a personal statement above and beyond his duty to the business he is employed in.After the campaigns run and running continually worldwide on racism by FIFA/UEFA,the EPL are not going to risk looking stupid by ignoring Anelka and maybe giving him a slap on the wrist.

At least some children disregard any age limit at all.

But, back on topic, the offending gesture is known- and acknowledged, by its gesturers- to be deliberately offensive.

They'd not be making it otherwise.

But, back on topic, the offending gesture is known- and acknowledged, by its gesturers- to be deliberately offensive.

What does sticking 2 fingers up mean - its not always the same. Didnt it say on the news, that the comedian that started this, didnt agree with its meaning?

The person that started it should know, everything is down to interpretation. Not everyone can be a wordsmith like Tony Blair.

What does sticking 2 fingers up mean - its not always the same. Didnt it say on the news, that the comedian that started this, didnt agree with its meaning?

The person that started it should know, everything is down to interpretation. Not everyone can be a wordsmith like Tony Blair.

Rubbish. I don't see many photographs of people doing it outside Palestinian holy sites or Christian holy sites or even Christian and Muslim places of worship....but Synagogues seem to be fair game, Auschwitz seems fair game, Rue de Four (Oven) seems OK as does Rue Des Juifs (no translation needed).

If sticking two fingers up was a deliberate attempt to instigate a hate campaign, then lots of people went out and stuck two fingers up at the target of said campaign, as opposed to anyone else, then it would be logical to suppose the gesture and subsequent use was deliberate.

Is there any particular reason you're concerned about anti-Semitism but not for example about Enoch Powell's racism, even going so far as denying that he was racist?

i think he'll get an 8 game ban as Suarez has set the precedent. Deserved in my opinion, he's old enough to know better even if he thought he was just doing it to support his mate he's clever enough to understand how it would be construed.

Lukaku has come out in defence of Anelka as has some Rabbi, think they should just leave it and let it die out to be honest.

Archived