How many days of Bank Holidays?

Look: the shops are open. So how come the professional firms aren't equally, er, professional?

We get Xmas day, boxing day and new years day off. Had I not booked the day off I'd have been working till 5 on new years eve.

Stupid law firms.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I am assuming that Jeffrey's own law firm has of course been open throughout the season. .... or is it former law firm now.

Either way, its good to see that you would have been a nice employer offering your hardworking staff some time off over the festive seasons. Christmas closure is not a new concept. Many people have to travel home to other cities to see family and friends. Many services that are open are run on a skeleton staff.

What is the desprate need to be open anyway. Jesus, are we really getting to a point where a place cannot be closed for a week or so without a riot.

Retail and hospitality is one thing but legal, accountancy, accedemia, manufacturing, consultantancy, audit - It can wait a few days.

I am assuming that Jeffrey's own law firm has of course been open throughout the season. .... or is if former law firm now. Either way, its good to see that you would have been a nice employer offering your hardworking staff some time off over the festive seasons. Christmas closure is not a new concept. Many people have to travel home to other cities to see family and friends. Many services that are open are run on a skeleton staff. What is the desprate need to be open anyway. Jesus, are we really getting to a point where a place cannot be closed for a week or so without a riot. Retail and hospitality is one thing but legal, accountancy, accedemia, manufacturing, consultantancy, audit - It can wait a few days.
Last year I had a client email me about his claim on Christmas morning at 9am. This guy had two children under ten. I dutifully replied when I was in the office but I agree that this type of thing should be able to wait.

Some employers insist that their employees use some of their annual leave over the whole Christmas/NY period ... maybe it's a quiet time, or maybe because it's more convenient for the whole place to close than operate on a skeleton staff.

I think it's a great way to get a longer holiday but only using a few annual leave days.

Must admit, I can't see why any retailers would want to do this though. Nov/Dec/Jan might make up to 60% of annual sales.

Archived