How many days of Bank Holidays?

As with all employers, staff are given a free choice of when holidays are taken.

People working in schools may disagree. So would people working in emergency services, care work, prisons, etc. Loads of people do not have that much choice as to when to take holiday as employers have to ensure there isn't a staff shortage at certain times. Everyone can't be off at the same time without shutting down a service.

Look: the shops are open. So how come the professional firms aren't equally, er, professional?

Because like the vast majority of us the staff all want to book leave between the 21st Dec and the 2nd Jan.

You probably did it yourself.

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 11:59 ----------

As with all employers, staff are given a free choice of when holidays are taken.

Sad to say, the other firms whose stance you prefer do not and compel staff to take time off.

This is contradictory, quite clearly not ALL employers give free rein. In fact very few do, I expect your own company actually expects holiday to be requested and reserves the right to refuse it.

People working in schools may disagree. So would people working in emergency services, care work, prisons, etc. Loads of people do not have that much choice as to when to take holiday as employers have to ensure there isn't a staff shortage at certain times. Everyone can't be off at the same time without shutting down a service.

True- so it's odd that several professional services did shut down, no?

True- so it's odd that several professional services did shut down, no?

Stop moaning. If you work in the private sector, it's a fact of capitalist life that not all businesses you want to deal with will be open when you want them to be. I'm sure you wouldn't want the government to legislate to force everyone to work on certain dates each year.

Others have explained why - for good reasons (family time, religious observance, economy, etc), - some businesses have an extended shutdown over Christmas and New Year. Try to come out of the egocentric zone. Just because you don't observe Christmas and probably don't have children you want to spend time with, doesn't mean nobody else does.

Er, no again: no "whingeing" on my part. Maybe you ought to re-read what I posted?

Alternatively, maybe you ought to read what everyone else has posted in response to your curmudgeonly complaint that some businesses shut down for an extended period at Christmas.

Archived