Coaching advice

slattsowl

I am basically posting to ask for advice I have currently just graduated from Sheffield Hallam University in Sport Coaching and currently coach the University of Sheffield Women's football team.

Basically I want to go on and get the FA level 2 coaching badge but the price for a recent postgraduate is quite extravagant, I am asking advice on what is the best way to gain funding or if there are any loans for coaches wanting to develop their career.

Any advice is appreciated,

Thank you

Some clubs will pay for you to do them if you coach them for free, some can get funding as part of the 'Grow the game fund' in some cases they have an obligation to put coaches through badges to achieve their charter status. In order to do a level 2 you have to be with a club (or at least access to a team to coach). Might be worth a few emails round clubs or a few phonecalls to see who needs what at the moment. Junior clubs tend to get more funding than senior clubs.

I am basically posting to ask for advice I have currently just graduated from Sheffield Hallam University in Sport Coaching and currently coach the University of Sheffield Women's football team.

Basically I want to go on and get the FA level 2 coaching badge but the price for a recent postgraduate is quite extravagant, I am asking advice on what is the best way to gain funding or if there are any loans for coaches wanting to develop their career.

Any advice is appreciated,

Thank you

Woah.... you've just spent 3 years on a sports coaching degree, and they did not include a level 2 coaching qualification of your choice?

I'm ask for some fees back from Hallam or get them to fund it.

Out of interest, after a sports coaching degree what exactly can you coach?

Why could you not simply flyer a local area with leaflets and set up a session?

I know the council charge for the use of parks so this is something you need to look into.

You can get the best qualifications in the world with all top grades but it doesn't count for anything. Pick a good area (somewhere like Dore is a good bet for success with any sporting club) get the leaflets out, set a date and see who turns up.

Avoid any areas where Activity Sheffield are likely to be running sessions, because its impossible to compete on price

Marketing + selling counts for far more in fitness that qualifications

Why could you not simply flyer a local area with leaflets and set up a session?

I know the council charge for the use of parks so this is something you need to look into.

You can get the best qualifications in the world with all top grades but it doesn't count for anything. Pick a good area (somewhere like Dore is a good bet for success with any sporting club) get the leaflets out, set a date and see who turns up.

Marketing + selling counts for far more in fitness that qualifications

But you need to be Level 2 to do sessions on your own!

You can get the best qualifications in the world with all top grades but it doesn't count for anything.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but you don't have any fitness qualifications do you? Yet you offer fitness classes.

In an adult world this is something that has a loophole. Once 18, any individual takes responsibility for themselves, and as such any injury sustained is their fault.

Now if someone in your class was to sustain an injury through fault of your own, then they could launch a legal claim based on improper instruction. The legal team would see you had no fitness qualifications, and it would seem a clear cut case.

But.. you could then argue that you never stated your qualifications, and as such people signed up at their own risk.

Anyway, the OP and others will no doubt want to work coaching children. For this you need a Level 2. Children cannot take responsibility for their actions, and as such need to be placed in the care of a suitable person.

Now again there are ways around this - you could get the parents to sign a disclaimer.

Sadly it is going to need a 'test case' for anything to happen. In the adventure industry there is the AALA / AALS which monitors all adventure activities for under 18s. This was because of the Lyme Bay tragedy where children drowned because the instructors were not qualified.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but you don't have any fitness qualifications do you? Yet you offer fitness classes.

Your wrong on the qualifications. Like many Trainers, when I started out, I had a day job (teaching) and in the evening ran fitness classes as an extra income, not to mention it was fun getting paid to do a workout.

Yes I did have the qualifications, otherwise no gym would have allowed me into their venues (employed me as a freelance trainer) to run classes on their behalf.

Your wrong on the qualifications. Like many Trainers, when I started out, I had a day job (teaching) and in the evening ran fitness classes as an extra income, not to mention it was fun getting paid to do a workout.

Yes I did have the qualifications, otherwise no gym would have allowed me into their venues (employed me as a freelance trainer) to run classes on their behalf.

What are your fitness qualifications?

Your teaching job would have qualified you to run sessions for pupils within the institution that employed you. But it wouldn't qualify you to run sessions for pupils out of school.

There is also the issue of ongoing professional development - once qualified coaches still need to attend regular courses and training.

Archived