Darnall. acres hill & waltheof schools

darnallmarin

I found the Sheffield Forum site while browsing " Sheffield" on the web. Memories came flooding back. We moved to Halsall Road, Darnall pre school age and I went to Acres Hill, but have very limited memeory of those years. I can remember some of the other children I played with at Halsall Road - Susan Reid - Michael Crooks - Peter Baddock - John White - Susan Jackson and Michael Brevitt on Halsall Drive. I remember the corner shop on the corner of Pierce Road, the chippy half way up and the greyhound track on the waste land at the top. My dad rented a garage on the waste land near the dog track. Mom worked at Boots the Chemist in Darnall and dad worked in several engineering companies in the area - Davy's, Hadfields, Osbornes and Downes Surgical,

I remember some details of my time at Waltheof School, the headmaster - Poselthwaite and other teachers - Marshall(M), Coe(F), Osborne(F), Edwards(M) & Jordon(M). I remember some of my fellow students - Susan Cliffe - Susan Haig & John Staniforth.

I joined the Merchant Navy on leaving school and being only backin Sheffield for short periods when between ships I lost contact with old colleagues. Eventually I meet someone from Ipswich and got married. A few years later I left the sea and got work as a civil servant at a local airfield till, Thatcher made us all redundant. I then worked at the Port of Felixstowe and having reached 65 this year I now only work park time, hence having the time to browse the web, and the memories all came back,

Archived