Second world war sword

My father was posted to Burma in the second world war. At the end of the war he was allowed to bring back a Japanese sword and a letter to say that he was allowed to bring it back it back as a trophy. I believe the sword was issued to Japanese Soldiers. I don't think it was an officers. I have been told that they are collectable. Does anyone know if this is true and how much it would it be worth.

Your fathers old regiment maybe interested in the sword for their museum, personally I would let the military have first options on it.

yes I was thinking of that. I did go to a war museum in Rotherham to try and find out information about his regiment, but there was no one to help me and I have also tried The British Legion but the person I spoke to was a little bit vague about who to contact. She gave me an address in Scotland who may be able to help. However I did not contact them. Perhaps I should try again in the new year. I was not thinking of selling it. Although a few of my relative feel that my father would have wanted me to do that.

Well in all honesty, i think you will find that military memorabilia can be very emotive, and with provenance and a good war story the value could escalate very sharply, endeavour to find as much info as you can as to how the sword came into your fathers possession, then see a reputable dealer in military goods, they may be able to value and maybe even confirm details, but ultimately items of significance would be preferable to be given an opportunity to reside in a war museum or some kind of military themed environment.

As an ex RAF Regiment Gunner, i know that our own museum are trawling the world looking for any memorabilia connected with our regiment, and some pretty hefty prices have been paid for items that most would think are worthless, but as stated before if provenance can be proven and a good factual story backs up the sword who knows how much it could be worth

Well in all honesty, i think you will find that military memorabilia can be very emotive, and with provenance and a good war story the value could escalate very sharply, endeavour to find as much info as you can as to how the sword came into your fathers possession, then see a reputable dealer in military goods, they may be able to value and maybe even confirm details, but ultimately items of significance would be preferable to be given an opportunity to reside in a war museum or some kind of military themed environment.

As an ex RAF Regiment Gunner, i know that our own museum are trawling the world looking for any memorabilia connected with our regiment, and some pretty hefty prices have been paid for items that most would think are worthless, but as stated before if provenance can be proven and a good factual story backs up the sword who knows how much it could be worth

thank you for the information. I do not know how he got the sword. I do have a faded piece of paper dated 1946 with his name on it saying he was allowed to keep the sword as a token. so many questions I should have asked him when he was alive. However I believe there were things that he was unable to talk about after the war. I certainly know he did not have a good time out in the far east. He was there for five and a half years and only came home once during that time. I think he was part of the Indian army which was the 14th army. I will have to look to see if I can find his old regiment number. once more thank you

My father died a few years ago and I put together a little website in his memory, mainly for the family's benefit. During the process, I contacted his old regiment and they couldn't have been more helpful. I only had photographic memorabilia, however they did ask me for copies, which are now part of their museum collection at Stirling Castle where he was stationed. I think he would have been well chuffed.

thank you for the information. I do not know how he got the sword. I do have a faded piece of paper dated 1946 with his name on it saying he was allowed to keep the sword as a token. so many questions I should have asked him when he was alive. However I believe there were things that he was unable to talk about after the war. I certainly know he did not have a good time out in the far east. He was there for five and a half years and only came home once during that time. I think he was part of the Indian army which was the 14th army. I will have to look to see if I can find his old regiment number. once more thank you

If you contact MOD Historical Records at Glasgow you will be able to purchase a copy of your fathers service records.

Google army service records and you will find the contact details.

Apply direct to Glasgow by phone and they will forward you the forms.

Archived