No hope youngsters contemplating suicide

Research by the Prince's Trust (MacQuarie youth index,) has found that 40% of 16 - 25 year olds who have been unable to find work have found themselves contemplating suicide.

Long term unemployed young people are also twice as likely as their peers to think they have nothing to live for, and more than twice as likely to have been prescribed anti-depressants. There has also been a significant increase in self harming.

Chief Executive, Martina Milburn, said 'Unemployment is driving young people to despair. Thousands live a frightening and isolated existence, and they are struggling to see a future for themselves.'

'Research proves that unemployment is a public health issue, and must be tackled urgently' (Shirley Cramer, CEO Royal Society for Public Health)

Honestly, how has the government let it come to this....?

Research by the Prince's Trust (MacQuarie youth index,) has found that 40% of 16 - 25 year olds who have been unable to find work have found themselves contemplating suicide.

Long term unemployed young people are also twice as likely as their peers to think they have nothing to live for, and more than twice as likely to have been prescribed anti-depressants. There has also been a significant increase in self harming.

Chief Executive, Martina Milburn, said 'Unemployment is driving young people to despair. Thousands live a frightening and isolated existence, and they are struggling to see a future for themselves.'

'Research proves that unemployment is a public health issue, and must be tackled urgently' (Shirley Cramer, CEO Royal Society for Public Health)

Because the population keep voting for governments that allow high immigration and spend money on less important things.

That sounds the same as everywhere at any time. Teenagers - morbid angst ridden creatures who look for any reason to feel sorry for themselves.

However, I would like to point out through that the 16-25 year old bracket would largely have consisted of children who were educated under the last government, and their 1997 election pledge of 'education, education, education'.

So, if education has failed them, and you blame 'government', which 'government' are you blaming?

Do you seriously do anything apart from find a "story" about how bad things are, and the wring your hands and say "it's it just so terrible it's so terrible isn't the government so horrible and nasty"

I don't think I see anything else posted by you. Sucidies have not noticeably changed over the last decade or more in this age bracket yet somehow there is a problem and it's all the Govt's fault (and never the mess then inherited fault).

If you really want to do something about helping teenagers, rather than just complain then go start volunteering.... there are many vacancies out there for people...

Because the population keep voting for governments that allow high immigration and spend money on less important things.

We don't have much choice though do we? They're all as bad as each other. UKIP are not a viable alternative.

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 11:45 ----------

Do you seriously do anything apart from find a "story" about how bad things are, and the wring your hands and say "it's it just so terrible it's so terrible isn't the government so horrible and nasty"

I don't think I see anything else posted by you. Sucidies have not noticeably changed over the last decade or more in this age bracket yet somehow there is a problem and it's all the Govt's fault (and never the mess then inherited fault).

If you really want to do something about helping teenagers, rather than just complain then go start volunteering.... there are many vacancies out there for people...

I post on a variety of subjects positively, but until people wake up to the dire quality of succesive governments who are 'in charge' of policy, I shall continue to berate them.

We have never been so micro-managed and bound by rules, regulations and red tape, but never has the situation been worse, and the quality of people's lives so depressed.

We are all rapidly going down the pan because of poor governance. When we are no better than a third world country you will be the first to be asking, how did that happen?

And for your information I do volunteer, which is how I know first hand the state many people are in.

We don't have much choice though do we? They're all as bad as each other. UKIP are not a viable alternative.

I post on a variety of subjects positively, but until people wake up to the dire quality of succesive governments who are 'in charge' of policy, I shall continue to berate them..

If you were to berate them then it'd be different, but all I see is a never ending stream of handwringing "oh it's just so awful..." That's nothing more than grandstanding of misery.

I post on a variety of subjects positively, but until people wake up to the dire quality of succesive governments who are 'in charge' of policy, I shall continue to berate them.

We have never been so micro-managed and bound by rules, regulations and red tape, but never has the situation been worse, and the quality of people's lives so depressed.

We are all rapidly going down the pan because of poor governance. When we are no better than a third world country you will be the first to be asking, how did that happen?

And for your information I do volunteer, which is how I know first hand the state many people are in.

Hi Anna

In many ways many decisions that affect our lives are out of our control but we shouldn't cede too much power to the politicians. We are in control of our lives in so many ways and should take ownership of this and not blame others for many of the problems we find ourselves in.

Also, when I read this report last night I couldn't help but think 'well, it was a children's charity that published this so they would say that wouldn't they'.

Cheers,

D

If you were to berate them then it'd be different, but all I see is a never ending stream of handwringing "oh it's just so awful..." That's nothing more than grandstanding of misery.

So if Anna B were to berate the young people who, according to the Prince's Trust, are experiencing mental health difficulties like self harm, then would your response be any different?

Archived