Fish & Chip Shop at Crosspool

The first chippie I remember was opposite side to the post office left hand corner. I think it became Charles's sweet shop around 1957?? You could get a penny's worth of chips with free scraps. Fish was probably about sixpence.

I knew the shop in the corner as Hodge's during the 70's.

I do remember a chippy opening in the 80s - chips were free on their 1st day and half of the kids from Tapton and King Edwards attended queued up for lunch.

Was it in Manns old fruit and veg shop ?

The first chippie I remember was opposite side to the post office left hand corner. I think it became Charles's sweet shop around 1957?? You could get a penny's worth of chips with free scraps. Fish was probably about sixpence.

Spot on mikeG. If memory serves it was at one time owned by a Mr Franks(?) who lived on Stephen Hill Road. Later he ran a coach hire firm.

After it closed you had to go to the shop on the corner of Lydgate Lane and Rygate Crescent, just before the Hallamshire Hotel, now demolished, or down to McGrail's at Broomhill.

Archived