Secrecy in government over pit closures

It's more complicated than that; even purely from an economical perspective...

Collectively, the whole country would probably still be better off, keeping pits open that were losing money. You have to factor in the money that goes in to miners pockets, which they then spend elsewhere (helping the economy) and also factor in benefits, that don't have to be paid to working miners. You also need to consider if the sale price of coal will go up in future etc.

Other thing to consider is the strength of the pound. Currently it is very weak which increases the unit cost of imports. We import most of our coal from the USA, Russia and South America. And we're more dependent than ever before on imports to keep our coal-fired generators running.

It should have been done through the ballot box.

it was - Heath went to the country asking "who governs Britain?" - the electorate's response was - "not you!"

have you forgotten the three day week, power cuts, massive balance of payments deficits (at least in comparison to what had gone before), rampant inflation (again, relative to what had gone before) and of course the conservatives were split over Europe

to say the miner's brought down the government is simplistic and inaccurate

having said that, i quite liked Heath

Were you? Think carefully before you answer - I've got two (ex) members of the ambulance service here who were present throughout and one of the pickets.

All of whom say that the violence started when the police pushed back the original charge and then the pickets started throwing rocks.

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 12:30 ----------

The only problem with that is that we can import coal as good as what we have for much less money and we don't have the capital infrastructure to spend. The mining industry was the ultimate "make-work" to keep people employed and did so at an immense cost, far more than the resultant benefit bill if we'd just paid them their wage to sit about and not dig up the coal.

Yes i was. Who are these people you mention? Can you provide proof?

it was - Heath went to the country asking "who governs Britain?" - the electorate's response was - "not you!"

have you forgotten the three day week, power cuts, massive balance of payments deficits (at least in comparison to what had gone before), rampant inflation (again, relative to what had gone before) and of course the conservatives were split over Europe

to say the miner's brought down the government is simplistic and inaccurate

having said that, i quite liked Heath

I'm not sure Jim Callaghan had it any easier from the unions...

Other thing to consider is the strength of the pound. Currently it is very weak which increases the unit cost of imports. We import most of our coal from the USA, Russia and South America. And we're more dependent than ever before on imports to keep our coal-fired generators running.

I think there are plans a foot for more nuclear power plants in the UK, but yeah, isn't it something like 60-70% of our energy comes from coal-fired power stations? Think they have more gas powered now too (which we have to import).

They aren't, they'd need substantial investment in new equipment to be able to produce the coal, and then they're still working in a half-dug pit so they don't really know how long it'll go on for.

If they were viable they would have been sold off to a private company long, long ago.

Yes i was. Who are these people you mention? Can you provide proof?

I somehow don't believe you - you've mentioned before that the trouble started when the police charged the miners, and you've also claimed it started when the police goaded the miners into charging them.

Two very different stories - I'm fairly certain you are just cherry picking stories for your agenda again. You'll have to excuse my taking your assertions with a very large pinch of salt.

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 16:39 ----------

They aren't, they'd need substantial investment in new equipment to be able to produce the coal, and then they're still working in a half-dug pit so they don't really know how long it'll go on for.

If they were viable they would have been sold off to a private company long, long ago.

There was a lot of issues after the strike with mines that were unsafe, as they had been shut down for only a year. They need constant maintenance to remain viable and safe, so if there were ones that were too dangerous after a year I'd hate to see what condition they are in now.

There were quite a few unpleasant police too. I wouldn't say that they started it all, but they certainly started some of it.

A lot of the documents released today have been redacted. Too sensitive to be released even after 30 years.

A persistent allegation is that some of the "police" on the lines were no such thing but were soldiers dressed as Police. Ken Capstick repeated this today on Radio 2 and I've heard it from another source today as well.

This is the first I've heard of such a claim. Can't quite see the logic behind it as there were more than enough metropolitan police wanting a trip up North for a punch-up and overtime money.

Archived