Anyone been in The Riverside (formerly the Freemasons) Hillsborough?

rollwithit

Anyone been in The Riverside (formerly the Freemasons) Hillsborough yet?

I've been in a couple of times and been pleasantly surprised with the refit, real ales, and competitive prices.

Can't say I'm a fan of many of the pubs in Hillsborough, but my first impression of the Riverside have been good so far.

I have been in and although the refit is alright, the pub lacks any sort of character. I wouldn't say it is cheap either. The thing in Hillsborough is that you have a Wetherspoons (The Rawson Spring) which is cheaper than any other local boozer. I am not a great fan of The Rawson Spring but when you can get a meal and a pint for under six quid it will crush any competition. As wages stay low and people lose jobs - the price of a pint is fast becoming the primary reason to chose one pub over another - and whatever time you go in The Rawson Spring, whether it is 11am on a Sunday or 6pm on a Tuesday it is always rammed.

I have been in and although the refit is alright, the pub lacks any sort of character. I wouldn't say it is cheap either. The thing in Hillsborough is that you have a Wetherspoons (The Rawson Spring) which is cheaper than any other local boozer. I am not a great fan of The Rawson Spring but when you can get a meal and a pint for under six quid it will crush any competition. As wages stay low and people lose jobs - the price of a pint is fast becoming the primary reason to chose one pub over another - and whatever time you go in The Rawson Spring, whether it is 11am on a Sunday or 6pm on a Tuesday it is always rammed.

Which might be a good reason for people to go to a quieter place for a pint.

I don't drink in the Rawson. I have no great ideological thing against Wetherspoons, but I prefer my pint in different surroundings usually.

Which might be a good reason for people to go to a quieter place for a pint.

I don't drink in the Rawson. I have no great ideological thing against Wetherspoons, but I prefer my pint in different surroundings usually.

I have the same affliction to the Rawson, can't stand it on a weekend night. Just too noisy the music they put on is not to my taste, which further impacts on the noise from which there is no escape.

However, we had our Xmas meal at the Lloyds in Chapeltown and it was very impressive for the price.

Back to The Riverside, I think we were drinking Black Sheep and it was £2.60. Considering most pubs charge about £2.90 for John Smiths, you can't grumble with that!

As long as the pub continues to have a friendly and non threatening atmosphere, I will continue to use the Riverside. Just that pubs in Hillsborough always seem to be bases for the footy mad tribal minded lot that want to fight (team win or loose).

So there are 3 places called Riverside all within a couple of miles now? There's the Riverside on Mowbray Street, then there's the Riverside Cafe on Catchbar Lane and someone still thought it was a good idea to change a pub name to make it easy to be mistaken for somewhere else?

They recalled it Riverside? That is pathetic, as medusa points out, we already have one (didn't know the other was there) in the area.

I would love a true pub in Hillsborough (corner) as I haven't found anywhere that I'd like to go so far, I'll give Riverside a go if it has improved, last time I was there it felt like a drinking hole for the alcos from up the hill like most of the other pubs in the area.

Archived