Huge truck bomb exploded in Iraq. Are Al Qaeda taking over?

Whichever myth you care to believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_career_of_Muhammad

The sum total of all casualties on all sides in all the battles of Muhammad is more than 1,000 according to the most authoritative sources, with the Battle of Mu'tah being the most costly in terms of casualties.

Not interfering would have been a great plan had we come up with it in the first place.

A bit late now. You can bet that whoever comes out on top we are going to be seen as the enemy & the threat of retaliation will continue.

Not interfering would have been a great plan had we come up with it in the first place.

A bit late now. You can bet that whoever comes out on top we are going to be seen as the enemy & the threat of retaliation will continue.

That's right. Had Mohammed and his bunch not forced Islam on the folk of the region they would clearly be much better off. Perhaps even as far advanced as other nations around the area. But sadly we are where we are and they are where they are. Perhaps if we could talk to them and stop them executing anyone who questioned the Islamic doctrine it would be a first step.

That's right. Had Mohammed and his bunch not forced Islam on the folk of the region they would clearly be much better off. Perhaps even as far advanced as other nations around the area. But sadly we are where we are and they are where they are. Perhaps if we could talk to them and stop them executing anyone who questioned the Islamic doctrine it would be a first step.

To be honest I don't think it would have made all that much difference, I think it's more a case of temperament than religion.

Lets face it, if they had all been Christians there's enough nonsense in the Bible which can be used by the unscrupulous for their own purposes.

All religions preach peace but many also have some fairly barbaric instructions included as well.

The Bible includes 'Turn the other cheek' & 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'.

Bit contradictory & people will choose what suits them.

To be honest I don't think it would have made all that much difference, I think it's more a case of temperament than religion.

Lets face it, if they had all been Christians there's enough nonsense in the Bible which can be used by the unscrupulous for their own purposes.

All religions preach peace but many also have some fairly barbaric instructions included as well.

The Bible includes 'Turn the other cheek' & 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'.

Bit contradictory & people will choose what suits them.

It would be nice if people could choose what suits them. There in lies the problem. Most folk in other parts of the world get to choose a religion or to not have one at all. In the middle east that is not an option. Children are indoctrinated into Islam from birth without being consulted on the matter. Should they then decide that Islam is not for them that is not an option either and carries a death sentence in many Arab countries. What lovely folks they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam

That's right. Had Mohammed and his bunch not forced Islam on the folk of the region they would clearly be much better off. Perhaps even as far advanced as other nations around the area. But sadly we are where we are and they are where they are. Perhaps if we could talk to them and stop them executing anyone who questioned the Islamic doctrine it would be a first step.[/

Muslims came up with quite a few inventions that changed the world actually but your hatred of islam obviously blinds you to this = http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/how-islamic-inventors-changed-the-world-469452.html

It would be nice if people could choose what suits them. There in lies the problem. Most folk in other parts of the world get to choose a religion or to not have one at all. In the middle east that is not an option. Children are indoctrinated into Islam from birth without being consulted on the matter. Should they then decide that Islam is not for them that is not an option either and carries a death sentence in many Arab countries. What lovely folks they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam

Well that's true. I'm a 'lapsed' Catholic & have had no problem mentioning that fact to priests & even Nuns - I know no fear :) - without arousing more than a sad shake of the head & the occasional interesting debate.

---------- Post added 07-01-2014 at 14:02 ----------

In fairness there have been many hugely impressive Muslims. A personal favourite of mine was Suleiman the Magnificent who was aptly named.

Interesting thing about him - one of many - was that he confided in & was influenced by the love of his life Roxelana who was formerly Christian.

Their son succeeded him in 1566 after Suleiman died following 46 years of rule.

How does one of the greatest Muslims that ever lived treating his wife as an equal & taking her council, factor in with current treatment of women in the Muslim world?

It seems to me that fundamental Muslim fanatics are influencing the religion in a negative & dangerous way.

Only other Muslims can stand up to them. Our interference is unwelcome & inflammatory.

Across North Africa and the Middle East the Arab Spring is turning into a golden opportunity for islamic groups like 'al qaeda" to exert their influence and power either through the ballot box or violence. It doesn't matter how or when they achieve their aims, they are patient, moving their pawns carefully into position and striking whenever the opportunity arises. The West may not be certain how many groups are operating and if they are collaborating given the complexity of islam, and is loathe to become involved again in unwinnable conflicts which only lead to adverse public opinion. Especially given the increasing importance of moslem communities across Europe and the U S who are gaining ground with their demands for islamic laws and customs to be accepted.

The West faces a choice; stop the rise of radical islam and the jihadists now or face chaos and a return to the middle ages in the near future

Muslims came up with quite a few inventions that changed the world actually but your hatred of islam obviously blinds you to this = http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/how-islamic-inventors-changed-the-world-469452.html

Did they really. Clearly not the technology to make a posting correctly or a link that actually leads anywhere. However I saw a previous list of these marvelous inventions. I seem to remember there wasn't much beyond the egg whisk. No internal combustion engine, no radio, computer, TV, electricity, steam engines, antibiotics, flight etc. Just a few bits of low tech crap. Not really much for 1 billion folk over a millennium. Perhaps you are being held back by your religion.

Archived