Hygiene in food production factories?

How many of you have worked in such environments?

Two decades ago I worked on Fletcher's loading bay, but got to see more of what went on in other parts of that production plant than I cared for. In the toilets (one of I went into one early morning) someone had previously chosen to adhere a length of their excretia to a mirror like an appendage! :loopy:

I reported this but nothing (that I know) happened.

That, and other incidents, made me wonder about the hygiene of food products going into our shops. I tend not to buy certain sweet meats nowadays! :hihi::gag:

I kind of think that if it tastes good and it won't kill me then maybe I don't want to know.

When you see these factories on the TV they're all acting all properly properly but, that's exactly what I'd do if I know my boss would be watching.

One of the reasons why Undercover Boss was a stupid premise for a TV show, but that's for another thread.

I shouldn't think anything that bad happens, like I'm guessing they don't spit in the food and that, but you can't really police against not washing hands, so yes you can be certain that at some point you've eaten a sandwich made by someone in a factory who didn't wash their hands after taking a dump.

Taking examples from 20 years ago is a bit irrelevant because most jobs you can think of you'd have gotten away with something 20 years ago that you'd get fired for today.

And how useful will this thread be anyway? There's always someone who had a 'mate' who did bad stuff to food in a factory - just trolling.

I shouldn't think anything that bad happens, like I'm guessing they don't spit in the food and that, but you can't really police against not washing hands, so yes you can be certain that at some point you've eaten a sandwich made by someone in a factory who didn't wash their hands after taking a dump.

Erm, ok I hope not.

Taking examples from 20 years ago is a bit irrelevant because most jobs you can think of you'd have gotten away with something 20 years ago that you'd get fired for today.

No, I watched something which reminded me.

And how useful will this thread be anyway? There's always someone who had a 'mate' who did bad stuff to food in a factory - just trolling.

Don't be stupid, everyone posts based upon their memories. :loopy:

Erm, ok I hope not.

What do you think is going to make a guy making sandwiches in a factory wash his hands after having a crap?

A high proportion of people don't do it anyway, and a working class guy in a factory at 3am is just not going to give one solitary s**t about whether or not he washes his hands before making your sandwich.

What do you think is going to make a guy making sandwiches in a factory wash his hands after having a crap?

A high proportion of people don't do it anyway, and a working class guy in a factory at 3am is just not going to give one solitary s**t about whether or not he washes his hands before making your sandwich.

Quality control and proper bacteriological tests should sort that out.

I've no idea, I was relating a memory. :hihi:

Dirty scrubbers then? :hihi::loopy: No need for you to get over-excited.

I've no idea, I was relating a memory. :hihi:

Dirty scrubbers then? :hihi::loopy: No need for you to get over-excited.

They aren't scrubbers that's the problem.

BBC quotes a study which gives you an idea of the kind of numbers:

"In total, 250,000 people were counted using the toilets...only 32% of men washed their hands with soap. For women, the figure was nearly twice as high, at 64%."

Maybe they have sensors and cameras in food making factory toilets...maybe, but then there's still nose picking :gag: etc.

The answer is simple. Avoid food prepared or pre-packaged in factories (unless it is tinned). Buy the ingredients yourself, wash them where appropriate and make the meal in a traditional fashion.

I'd be more worried about the temperature conditions meat and meat products (esp.poultry) are kept in, tbh.

Worked in a food factory some years ago now, was satisfied with the hygiene and food quality.

However, recently saw a film from about 30 years ago, and a factory in that had more modern machinery than what was used in one in SY, up until a few years ago.

Worked in a food factory some years ago now, was satisfied with the hygiene and food quality.

However, recently saw a film from about 30 years ago, and a factory in that had more modern machinery than what was used in one in SY, up until a few years ago.

I would expect a curry that I bought from a supermarket to be far more hygienically produced than one from any of the restaurants and takeaways of Sheffield.

Archived