Fitness First at Hillsborough

Hello.

I'm thinking of joining Fitness first in Hillsborough. Can anyone tell me what its like? How much it costs (it doesn't way on their web site) and if its nice and friendly etc. I've never been to a gym before and i'd hate to go and find out it was full of skinny people in lycra!

I was thinking of Hillsborough leisure centre but fitness first is closer to me. Would anyone recommend Hillsborough over fitness first or vise versa?

Thanks

Zip.

Guest Pauly

I went to Fitness First for a short time but only went to the Hillsborough gym once. I found it to be very well stocked with machines, lots of space and not too many muscly/skinny people. It's friendly enough, just your average Joes and Janes as far as I could tell. :) If it'd been a little closer to home I'd have carried on going there but Ponds Forge was the closest so that was my local.

Monthly cost last year was £27.50 but it may have gone up a little since then.

The two aren`t that far apart. They both have the same fascilities but with fitness first you have a membership fee to pay first. It was about £100. All you pay at hillsbotough is your monthly fee. Also you could use up a few calories walking that bit further

Oh DUH! Sorry, it was Fitness Unlimited I was thinking of. :blush:

I was going to say you have them mixed up.

Fitness first is a very good well equiped gym and has free drinks fruit juices and a video library.

Its been a while since I was a member but I can't say anything bad about it though its quite expensive if you train less than 4 times a week.

I go to fitness first around 4 times a week.

Loads of cardio equipment, loads of weight resistance machines, free weights corner & a smaller quiet gym upstairs. Nice changing rooms, free drinks, sauna/steam room. Lots of classes in an upstairs room if that's your thing.

There are all ages, sizes, fitness levels there.

They usually have some sort of offer on so it's not usually as expensive as you'd think.

There are no cliques or gangs in there & nobody watches you. You just go, do your thing & leave. There are so many members & they all go at different times so nobody would know that you were new or not.

I don't recall seeing much lycra BTW.

Me & a mate joined Fittness first when it first opened, stopped going after about 18 months due to work. Joined Hillsbro leisure (fittness unlimited) late 2004, stopped going may 2005 due to time limits on machines & constant breakdown of them. & it allways seems full to bursting point at peak times.

That said if you want to include swimming it's got to be Hillsbro.

Thanks a lot everyone. I've got a free day pass for Fitness First. I'm going to try it out next week.

I think i'm going to go to the gym about 3 times a week. I want to lose about a stone and a half and just to tone up really, and to drop a couple of jean sizes. I want to be in my size 8's again! hehehe.

I'll let you know what I think to the gym when i've had my free go!

Thanks again.

Zip.

Archived