Those £9.50 holidays are back

That makes no sense at all. Let's be honest.

No, it makes perfect sense. If you take your kids out of school to go on holiday, their education suffers. Unless they are so bright that they can get A*s without full attendance and their teachers' input, it is rational to assume that whatever they got, they could have got more marks if they hadn't missed a week (or two, or three) of lessons.

Actually, as a teacher of 30+ years' experience , I always supected that it was more to do with attitude than with hours of schooling missed (although both are significant). When you take your kids out of school, the message they get is : school is important, but not that important. Tenerife is more important. We know better than all your teachers. That message undermines what their teachers are telling them and affects motivation... and exam results. The arguments are re-visited here:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1223677&highlight=school+holidays

Has anybody been on one of these promotions. if so, recommend any sites? If it was that bad for £9.50 you could sack it off and come home?

It will not be £9.50. There will all kinds of hidden charges, like £100 for your suitcase or £200 for transfers. And you won't be able just to abandon the holiday if it's a nightmare because you'll be booked onto a certain flight back.

You get what you pay for....

It will not be £9.50. There will all kinds of hidden charges, like £100 for your suitcase or £200 for transfers. And you won't be able just to abandon the holiday if it's a nightmare because you'll be booked onto a certain flight back.

They are campsite / static caravan holidays, mostly in the uk - so suitcases and transfers are not relevant. There are no flights.

There are extra charges but you don't have to pay them though.

There are usually charges for bedding - but you can take your own

For 'entertainment passes' if you want to use the bar / swimming pool

There is also a service charge on top of the 9.50 (you have to pay this)

You can upgrade to better caravans, pay more for highest season...

We did one in Devon last year - it came to about 100 quid for three of us once we add in the bedding and service charges. Very basic, but not bad at all

No, it makes perfect sense. If you take your kids out of school to go on holiday, their education suffers. Unless they are so bright that they can get A*s without full attendance and their teachers' input, it is rational to assume that whatever they got, they could have got more marks if they hadn't missed a week (or two, or three) of lessons.

Actually, as a teacher of 30+ years' experience , I always supected that it was more to do with attitude than with hours of schooling missed (although both are significant). When you take your kids out of school, the message they get is : school is important, but not that important. Tenerife is more important. We know better than all your teachers. That message undermines what their teachers are telling them and affects motivation... and exam results. The arguments are re-visited here:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1223677&highlight=school+holidays

You seam to have a very limited understanding of children, some really don't like school, they find it tedious despite being quite bright. Teachers that think they know more than parents really don't help anyone. Using the promise of an holiday is a great way to motivate children, whilst boring them to death in school is more likely to drive them further away from education.

---------- Post added 05-01-2014 at 08:04 ----------

My guess is that you are offering your opinion on something you have never done yourself, which isn't very helpful.

I wouldn't take my kids out of school when they get to their final two years of senior school but before then I will because with 4 kids we simply won't be able to afford a holiday peak time. I think it's important for children to have two weeks a year with their families, experiencing a different culture, seeing a different part of the world and getting that important uninterrupted relaxation time with their family. My husband and I will spend years stressed out if we don't have a holiday with our children because of overinflated prices and schools dictating to us. You can make a holiday a pretty educational experience too. I think next year I'll check out these Sun holidays but we can't go anywhere this year cos the baby is due June. We booked to go down to Devon in June incidentally before I knew I was pregnant and have jut thankfully got half our deposit back as we can't go :(

You seam to have a very limited understanding of children, some really don't like school, they find it tedious despite being quite bright. Teachers that think they know more than parents really don't help anyone. Using the promise of an holiday is a great way to motivate children, whilst boring them to death in school is more likely to drive them further away from education.

---------- Post added 05-01-2014 at 08:04 ----------

My guess is that you are offering your opinion on something you have never done yourself, which isn't very helpful.

Wrong on both counts. I have a lot of experience of children, schools, teaching, exams and the education process generally.

Many kids are under-aspirational and could do better, given a different attitude at home. Like it or not, in the end, kids who do brilliantly at school (at whatever level is 'brilliantly' for them), are the ones whose parents give them the same messages as the school, not contrary ones such as yours : 'Oh, come off on holiday with us, rather than being bored to death at school!'. Actions speak louder than words and even if you don't say it explicitly, it is the message they receive. See other thread.

Cheap holidays : I've looked into these a few times and rejected them as being misrepresented. I've had friends book them and be disappointed or ripped off. You don't get owt for nowt!

Wrong on both counts. I have a lot of experience of children, schools, teaching, exams and the education process generally.

None of which means you know mush about children.

Many kids are under-aspirational and could do better, given a different attitude at home. Like it or not, in the end, kids who do brilliantly at school (at whatever level is 'brilliantly' for them), are the ones whose parents give them the same messages as the school, not contrary ones such as yours : 'Oh, come off on holiday with us, rather than being bored to death at school!'. Actions speak louder than words and even if you don't say it explicitly, it is the message they receive. See other thread.

Cheap holidays : I've looked into these a few times and rejected them as being misrepresented. I've had friends book them and be disappointed or ripped off. You don't get owt for nowt!

Rubbish, both my kids are successful despite the useless school they went to, and the know it all teachers. The highlight of my sons school days was when he made his math teacher look stupid in front of the class, all because his teacher couldn't solve an equation that my son solved.

None of which means you know mush about children.

Rubbish, both my kids are successful despite the useless school they went to, and the know it all teachers. The highlight of my sons school days was when he made his math teacher look stupid in front of the class, all because his teacher couldn't solve an equation that my son solved.

:rolleyes: Whatever you say.

(Protesting too much, methinks...)

Archived