Buy-to-let property supremo sends out eviction notices to 200 tennants

In fact, look again at what he's done. Is it lawful? Probably yes.

It's a business decision. Perfectly legal. They've got a 1,000 properties and their business structure is not compatible with providing housing to benefits claimants any more.

I watched an interview with Mr Wilson tonight and he seems genuinely sorry about what he's doing. He knows that it will cause suffering but he isn't social services and he can't afford his business to fail because of unofficially acting in such a role.

Totally understandable.

Taking all the moral and ethical considerations out of the equation (remember governments have allowed such businesses to develop and can't suddenly start playing on the moral and ethical angle in private business, especially given the approach to the banks) the thing now is to determine why government policy has allowed or maybe caused such a chasm in housing provision to open up so quickly.

Edited by I1L2T3

It's a business decision. Perfectly legal. They've got a 1,000 properties and their business structure is not compatible with providing housing to benefits claimants any more.

I watched an interview with Mr Wilson tonight and he seems genuinely sorry about what he's doing. He knows that it will cause suffering but he isn't social services and he can't afford his business to fail because of unofficially acting in such a role.

Totally understandable.

Taking all the moral and ethical considerations out of the equation (remember governments have allowed such businesses to develop and can't suddenly start playing on the moral and ethical angle in private business, especially given the approach to the banks) the thing now is to determine why government policy has allowed or maybe caused such a chasm in housing provision to open up so quickly.

It doesn't sound unreasonable to me either. Would a hotel with 200 bedrooms let them out to folk who wouldn't pay for them? It is a strange business that will provide a service when there is a very high risk of not getting paid. I imagine everyone bar the freeloaders will see that.

If say there was an area with a large ethnic population, many on benefits, and the landlords sent notice to quits to these people, because more affluent white people wanted to move it... there'd be a riot... rightly so..

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 18:28 ----------

Next year it looks like the under 25's are going to be refused HB.... that should be interesting...

SEIG HEIL!

GRANDAD, PLEASE TELL ME AGAIN HOW YOU HELPED GET RID OF THE NAZIS! I THINK THEY JUST TOOK OVER THE RUNNING OF THIS COUNTRY INSTEAD.

the clowns in government forget that this age group are among those getting their bodies ripped to shreds in war zones, and if they survive, they are sacked and end up homeless in their own country.

they forget many in this age group may be married with children.

it was always a council's duty to provide homes for those who could not afford to buy their own, which is most of us.

it seems lost on the government that the route to prosperity is a stable secure home with which to work from, not cooking the employment books by forcing blind people off benefits only for them to commit suicide. ATOS should be charged with corporate murder, and would be so, if i were in charge.

the thing now is to determine why government policy has allowed or maybe caused such a chasm in housing provision to open up so quickly.

It's been b...y obvious for a decade or two(or more)

The right to buy and preventing Local Authorities to reinvest in Social housing.

The right to buy and preventing Local Authorities to reinvest in Social housing.

ABSOLUTELY!

the tories brought in the right to buy. i think a better idea would have been to give council tenants who wanted to buy their own home a wad of cash to buy a house in the private sector, not their council home. this would have freed up council houses for those who cant afford to buy.

the wholesale demolition of housing estates on the pretext of replacing old properties with new was absolutely good in theory but a bad move in practice - or not in practice, as is the case. most of these could have been sold off cheaply to people who would modernise them and live in them.

but the funds would have to be available to councils to build new homes. the fact that this was not done has helped to create awful fat cat landlords that we see today, leading to the bedroom tax and housing benefit/welfare crisis that the gov is blaming the unemployed for.

Totally understandable.

Maybe, but they and many other landlords were more than happy to milk the system by letting to benefit claimants, when the times were good.

There are underlying reasons of course but what are the reasons for the recent surge in housing issues?

There are underlying reasons of course but what are the reasons for the recent surge in housing issues?

Increased population, more people living alone or in smaller families, social housing demolished and/or sold off & no new building to replace the lost stock.

It was a deliberate plan by the last few governments to raise house prices to benefit landlords at the expense of everybody else. Possibly because a lot of MPs are also landlords?

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmselect/cmpubacc/106/106.pdf

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3313642/MPs-condemn-disastrous-pathfinder-scheme.html

Edited by anywebsite

a lot of people are missing the point here. evicting tenants to replace them with eastern european tenants is nothing short of ethnic cleansing.

the sell-off or demolition and non replacement of council housing has led to this problem. getting people on to the property ladder is one thing but not everyone wants to be saddled with a lifetime of debt in an uncertain economy, just for an overpriced pile of bricks over their heads. we cant take anything with us when we die. we just want a secure roof over our heads for the short time we are on this planet. not too much to ask.

people need long term secure homes where they can put down their roots and create a future for themselves and their families. how do you explain an eviction to a child who is probably going to have to go to a different school, find new friends and deal with new dangers in a different area?

housing should be a social issue not a financial one.

just more reasons to voke UKIP.

The guardian were saying, "how long before the rhetoric of they come here taking our jobs, benefits, etc. turns to homes".

It'll not be long before miltias form and forcibly evict immigrants, there are already some low level campaigns, whereby immigrants are harassed till they move. But no direct forced evictions by locals yet that I know of.

Part of me thinks it might even be a good thing, as it shall force the government into improving the housing standards of the people, primarily by building new houses in order to keep order.

It never need have come to this.

I'm glad I don't live in the PRS, although I am surrounded by PRS housing, the nearby council houses and housing association properties are considered 'posh', such is the poor state of PRS housing being used to exploit the working classes by rentier parasites.

It's sad to see tenants fighting their fellow proles (tenants). The world would be a much better place if anger was directed towards landlords, and that includes councils and HAs who are also rentier parasites.

This country is screwed and it's all down to housing. We haven't got a housing crisis anymore, we have a full on HEALTH crisis. The health of people in poor housing, and the health of our society, blighted by poor housing.