What is the best premium beauty cream?

By premium, do you mean expensive?

Personally I'd say don't waste your money. Something like Nivea seems to work perfectly well for Joanna Lumley, (she's often said it's all she uses.) I've used Oil of Olay for years, simply because it's lighter and sinks in easily, and I'm often complimented on my skin.

Also avoid sunlight on your face by using one with a high UV filter.

42 eh?

Best advice is buy an umbrella, don't go outdoors without it.

Don't let a ray of sunlight anywhere near you.

Rain is brilliant at moisturing the skin....forget the brolly when it's raining.:)

Seriously...we all age...it happens.

Waste money on creams at 42 and you will still be and look 62 twenty years later.

Personally I'd say don't waste your money. Something like Nivea seems to work perfectly well for Joanna Lumley, (she's often said it's all she uses.) I've used Oil of Olay for years, simply because it's lighter and sinks in easily, and I'm often complimented on my skin.

Couldn't agree more. Nivea is the one I've used since age 16 and it's wonderful stuff. I still look 16! (Not really, but I am told I look younger than I am). Sunscreen also, as advised. If you have money to spare and want to spend it on your skin, invest in lots of fruit and veg - what you eat and drink (water is best) make much more difference than what you slap on it (beyond a basic moisturiser).

Not smoking, and rarely wearing make-up have also helped prevent my skin being wrecked.

Agreed.

I think the consumer affairs magazine Which did a study into this, did various tests and found that Simple lotion was more effective than the premium brands.

There use to be an advert on telly hawking an expensive face cream in which a woman says in an astonished tone "It allows my skin to breathe"! What piffle. Skin doesn't breathe, otherwise we'd drown each time we went in the shower :rolleyes:

Totally agree with the Nivea fans. Don't bother wasting your money on expensive creams, just go to the chemist and buy a big tub of Nivea (the old fashioned sort in a blue container). I read somewhere that it is just as good (if not better) as the pricey ones. My mum used it for many years and had great skin. If I was on Desert Island Disks my luxury would have to be a plentiful supply of the stuff. There's no contest in my view.

For moisturising the body after bath or shower, buy unperfumed cream or lotion from Superdrug (Aqueous cream from the chemist is cheap and would also be OK), decant some into a small (30ml) jar and add a few drops of essential oil such as Lavender and it's absolutely perfect, as well as relaxing. If you want to spend a bit more, buy a 5ml bottle of Rose Absolute (about £25 on eBay) and add a few drops to the aforementioned jar of unperfumed cream or lotion. It is very concentrated so you only need about 3 to 4 drops in a small 30ml jar. It's absolutely gorgeous. A word of warning though - don't buy the cheaper rose oil because it will probably be diluted in grapeseed oil or similar.

I wouldn't bother with the expensive face creams. I (when I remember) use a Vitamin E face moisturiser from Superdrug that only cost a few pounds, with SPF15 in it because I spend quite a bit of time outdoors, and my skin is pretty good (no wrinkles yet, touch wood). Their face scrub from the same range is good too, leaves my skin really soft.

Totally agree with the Nivea fans. Don't bother wasting your money on expensive creams, just go to the chemist and buy a big tub of Nivea (the old fashioned sort in a blue container). I read somewhere that it is just as good (if not better) as the pricey ones. My mum used it for many years and had great skin. If I was on Desert Island Disks my luxury would have to be a plentiful supply of the stuff. There's no contest in my view.

For moisturising the body after bath or shower, buy unperfumed cream or lotion from Superdrug (Aqueous cream from the chemist is cheap and would also be OK), decant some into a small (30ml) jar and add a few drops of essential oil such as Lavender and it's absolutely perfect, as well as relaxing. If you want to spend a bit more, buy a 5ml bottle of Rose Absolute (about £25 on eBay) and add a few drops to the aforementioned jar of unperfumed cream or lotion. It is very concentrated so you only need about 3 to 4 drops in a small 30ml jar. It's absolutely gorgeous. A word of warning though - don't buy the cheaper rose oil because it will probably be diluted in grapeseed oil or similar.

Totally agree ccit, I have also been using rose water (£1.50), sold in many continental stores, splash it all over after shower/bath, great for sunburn too.

Top tip - Home Bargains do the blue tubs of Nivea for half the price of other places. It's good, but really thick and doesn't sink in - best used at night.

Archived