What is the best premium beauty cream?

42 eh?

Best advice is buy an umbrella, don't go outdoors without it.

Don't let a ray of sunlight anywhere near you.

Rain is brilliant at moisturing the skin....forget the brolly when it's raining.:)

Seriously...we all age...it happens.

Waste money on creams at 42 and you will still be and look 62 twenty years later.

Thanks for the replies this made me laugh! Its amazing that most people are nivea fans as I read an article on a lady who bought crem de la mer about £100 a tub and wore it on one side of her face and nivea on the other, she had more comments on the nivea side than the crem de la mer, I do use serums and face and eye cream, when I said premium I did mean the expensive ones, I think its also in your genes my mom never had a wrinkle or a grey hair, looks like niveas the top product at the moment.

Top tip - Home Bargains do the blue tubs of Nivea for half the price of other places. It's good, but really thick and doesn't sink in - best used at night.

Yes, I agree. The best stuff for the daytime is the Nivea in white plastic bottles with the blue lid - about £2-£3 in Boots? I'm a decorator and I use it as a handcream, too. Good stuff.

Couldn't agree more. Nivea is the one I've used since age 16 and it's wonderful stuff. I still look 16! (Not really, but I am told I look younger than I am). Sunscreen also, as advised. If you have money to spare and want to spend it on your skin, invest in lots of fruit and veg - what you eat and drink (water is best) make much more difference than what you slap on it (beyond a basic moisturiser).

Not smoking, and rarely wearing make-up have also helped prevent my skin being wrecked.

Nivea is what my wife uses and it works well.

Yes, I agree. The best stuff for the daytime is the Nivea in white plastic bottles with the blue lid - about £2-£3 in Boots? I'm a decorator and I use it as a handcream, too. Good stuff.

At the risk of sounding like a Nivea shareholder, the lotion (blue bottle, white lid) is great as an after-shower body lotion. Home Bargains again for best price.

Here's what you need to do:

Get a tube of very expensive moisturiser, preferably one that only contains a tiny amount of cream.

It must be accompanied by an ad campaign starring some A-list celebrity (preferably Gwyneth Paltrow).

It must be sold to you by a very pretty, but overly-made-up woman wearing what looks like a posh lab coat. It's very important that she won't be able to refer you to any independent peer-reviewed studies that support the claims made in the ads.

Make sure the ads contain lots of words that sound a bit scientific and, even better, have animations showing molecules of those scientific doo-dahs going about their business of making your dermal collagen nice and plump and springy, or some such thing.

Remember: expensive, science and celebrity are the keys here.

Then, use the cream for a week and I guarantee that you will swear that your skin looks and feels much better...

Alternatively, try a few cheap, unperfumed creams until you find one that suits you (Nivea might be good for some people, but it might not suit you); keep out of the sun and if you can't do that make sure you wear sunscreen; don't smoke; have good genes.

I would never spend more than a couple of quid on a face cream...I have tried Nivea but it's not quite right for my skin. I use Ponds day cream and I did just pick up some L'Oreal Youth Code Luminizer (£4 in B&M) and can't say there's much difference between the two (although after using it I did get asked for ID twice in Morrisons which made my day! )

Off topic here....are you a decorator (as stated here), or a teacher of 30+ years (as stated in other thread)???

I don't think you can go wrong with palmers cocoa butter, it's not expensive, smells lovely, doesn't leave your skin greasy and rubs in well, all of my black friends swear by it and they all have lovely smooth skin, iv used it for years too and wouldn't change to anything else

Hi all so I' m at that age 42, I look after myself and I eat healthy,

What is the best premium moisturiser?

Mm... I would opt for a more natural product if you must, but do not go just for the chemically made ones either. Plus also, I do not know about you, but I come to realise that moisturising isn't an absolute way to get great skin and that youthful look. It is also about your emotional health too, and reduce stress levels etc. Plus cleaning those dead skin cells. I started scrubbing like crazy recently. :hihi:

I almost bought this gadget, but for now, I opted for a body brush and facial brush, and I started to use dettol in my baths and also more "antibacterial" shower gels and bath gels which helps and it advances the cleaning process, rather than just because it smells nice.

If you want to use good skin products which is more au naturel, either opt for Elemis, Clarins, Decleors or Shseido. Cos a lot of these have actual essential oil which melts the actual fatty layers, and then more active ingredients to heal the inflamed sub-layer of the skin, and some of them have aspirin to heal the skin too in a more slow way.

I have tried Nivea recently and I am not impressed because the list of ingredients showed me are actually more chemically derived. Plus, it leave a sticky "residual" on your hands on the top layer. Whereas essential oils actually is absorbed into the lower layer. Even if you cannot afford these products, just buy some basic essential oils from your local health food shop and use that as a base and it should still enhance your skin any way. Plus to continue scrubbing away the dead skin cells so that your pores can open, and that it is not blocked by moisturisers. Or make up.

http://www.philips.co.uk/e/skincare/#par_scrollsection_1 - Read the whole skin cleansing section. It really helps to see the difference and understand how the skin works too.

They also have a laser product but I don't think I am likely to buy one, but there is a section to show you visibly how skin ages and why. How age spots came about, and how skins' collagen do not reproduce any more, but straightening them or protecting them helps the appearance of aging.

Later on, I think I will also get one of these !

http://www.clarisonic.co.uk/

Every day you get a lot of body oil and your skin also will generate more too, so effective cleaning is more essential to be honest.

Archived