Dissertation Help - Gleadless Valley

sophie93

Hello

I'm in the middle of writing my dissertation about housing design and I'm using Gleadless Valley as a case study. I visited this morning and I have been a few times before but they've all been rushed visits and I was just wondering if anyone who has lived there or visited can help me out! I just need to know about the corridors in the maisonettes, flats & tower blocks e.g. how many dwellings the corridors lead to and privacy etc. I have a good idea from visits but the internal corridors are a bit difficult to access. Obviously any additional comments from people who live in the area about the different designs would be great too.

Thanks!

there are at least four different types of maisonette on "the Valley"

the tower maisonettes on Blackstock road and Ironside road have between four and six levels, with two properties opening from each central landing off the staircase.

the longer maisonettes such as the ones opposite newfield green shops on Spotswood, have about ten or twelve properties (there are one or two blocks with more) on each of two storeys.

there are a couple of blocks off leighton road, which have unusual layouts, with more than 10 flats in the block.

thesix high rise on callow and the two (formerly three) high rise at Herdings are similar in layout. 12 floors on the five one-bedroomed-flats blocks, with four flats opening off a communal hall/vestibule on each floor. (totalling 48 flats per block) Both herdings blocks are one-bedroomed.

on the 2 bedroomed block (of which there is only one on Callow) has 14 floors of flats, again four flats open off each floor onto a communal vestibule.

---------- Post added 05-01-2014 at 17:23 ----------

to add:-

There are two sets of maisonettes on Abneyclose/ drive/ road(?) which have slightly different layouts, they are in three blocks each. all opening onto a front landing with two shared stairwells, one block in a six-six-four layout, the other with two stairwells, in a six-four-eight.

Sheesh, PT, if I need a cat burglar I'll know who to go to. (Smiley face)

Ps - I saw that tree on Collegaite that had been blown over - it IS mahoosive, innit!

I grew up on t'valley, Pritt, and lived on the maisonettes on Leighton so I know what properties are where.

and yes it was a heck-of-a-tree to go over, wasn't it? I bet the people in that property and the neighbouring homes were looking for clean underwear. it must have been terrifying.

Hello

I'm in the middle of writing my dissertation about housing design and I'm using Gleadless Valley as a case study. I visited this morning and I have been a few times before but they've all been rushed visits and I was just wondering if anyone who has lived there or visited can help me out! I just need to know about the corridors in the maisonettes, flats & tower blocks e.g. how many dwellings the corridors lead to and privacy etc. I have a good idea from visits but the internal corridors are a bit difficult to access. Obviously any additional comments from people who live in the area about the different designs would be great too.

Thanks!

Call into the Wyvern on Leighton Rd at around 21:15 any Saturday night and talk to the small group of people (just 5) who have lived in total over 120 years between them on Gleadless Valley.

2 further sources of information. There is somewhere a run down of the council properties in each area, used to be on sheffield city council before sheffield homes took over. I recommend streetview for a safe way to look around the valley if you dont know it too well..

Hello

Thanks!

Also ...up to the 70s I lived in the 'upside down' houses, on 'Grindlow close'. Two bedroomed terraced - with the kitchen .. bath .. diner .. and lounge on the ground /pavement level. 'We' - the residents would go down the stairs to access two bedrooms and a pleasant piece of garden. South facing.. large windows. Very nice.

Hope this helps a little. ... Cheers from DGJ

All very helpful thank you!

Google street view has been amazing and I have managed to get hold of some council documents which have all helped, its all come together pretty well! Will definitely visit the Wyvern too if I get chance.

Also thank you for the personal stories. Love the variety of housing in the area!

---------- Post added 05-01-2014 at 23:05 ----------

Just a quick question about the tower blocks - from the original drawings I believe there are two sets of stairs and two sets of lifts, are they all commonly used/even there or is one of the staircases a fire exit?

All very helpful thank you!

Google street view has been amazing and I have managed to get hold of some council documents which have all helped, its all come together pretty well! Will definitely visit the Wyvern too if I get chance.

Also thank you for the personal stories. Love the variety of housing in the area!

---------- Post added 05-01-2014 at 23:05 ----------

Just a quick question about the tower blocks - from the original drawings I believe there are two sets of stairs and two sets of lifts, are they all commonly used/even there or is one of the staircases a fire exit?

Yes, in the highrise, there are staircases on both sides of the building, they are part of the internal structure, and no, there isn't one that is specifically designed as a fire exit, they are identical.

I can't remember if the lifts serve right up to the top floors, it's a long time since I was in those flats, but I seem to remember that the last floor isn't served by the lift, (this is definitely the case on the one remaining "Norfolk Park" style block that stands alone on Hanover {Broomhall}) so the staircases act as access to the top floor from the next floor down where the lifts finish.

Archived