Oxo factory on Joiner Street - any information?

I am trying to trace anyone who can tell me more about the oxo factory on Joiner street and what they made there ffom the 30's to around the 70's

Don't know much about the factory. But as to what they made, Not sure about that either, but a wild guess would be OXO's.

I am trying to trace anyone who can tell me more about the oxo factory on Joiner street and what they made there ffom the 30's to around the 70's

I worked in the offices in Joiner Street from the late 1950s to early 60s.I was a ledger clerk , and we also had large storage rooms where oxos and Ye old Oak Ham,and various other food stuffs,were stored there.They didnt actually make anything there,the oxos etc; came from somewhere else.Goods were recored and distributed from there .Didnt realise that it had been there from the thirtys though..I left around 1960,and went to train to be a nurse.It was a very happy place to work at.:thumbsup:

As the previous message noted, the Oxo Building was offices and a distribution centre. All the well known OXO products were made elswhere. The building fronted on to Joiner Street with a very large loading dock on the side, in Nursey Lane. For many years, it had the "OXO" name in large letters at the top of the building.

I understand the building was completed in the mid to late 1930s. Certainly, it was around when when I was growing up in the area and some of my earliest chidlhood recollections (in the 1940's) was of a building that looked very new. lt, and the Sheffield Refreshment Houses building next door (built around the same time) always stood out from the rest of the properties in the neighbourhood.

I don't think the orginal window color was blue but the earlier corespondent, who worked there in the 1950-60, may have a better recollection.

I recall seeing the window trim painted blue ( different shades of blue may have been tried over the years) but I didn't care for the shade of blue that was on there the last time that I saw the building. I didn't think the blue was compatible with the brickwork and made the building look drab.

Sorry -don't have any photos.

Regards

Thanks thats really helpful. We own the building and are trying to restore it to its original glory!! Do you have any photos or can you tell me the original window colour.. was it blue as it is now?

I originally worked there, can you tell me what it is going to be turned into ? It seemed like an art deco sort of building when I worked there. It would be interesting to see the old building restored to its original state.:thumbsup:

we are going to turn the whole building into offices . It was last used to manufacture pewter gifts so you can imaging how dirty and blck it is inside now. Do you remember the glass and concrete building over the road on Joiner street?

Archived