Is using a working horse cruelty?

In the news recently is New York's new mayor promising to ban the traditional horse and carriage rides around Central Park, the ones you've seen in all those New York movies.

He said 'We are going to quickly and aggressively move to make horse carriages no longer a part of the landscape ... They are not humane, they are not appropriate for the year 2014. It's over.'

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bill-de-blasio-won-horse-controversial-carriages-article-1.1561981

I'd never even considered that working a horse could be considered inhumane. Does that mean riding a horse is inhumane too?

In the news recently is New York's new mayor promising to ban the traditional horse and carriage rides around Central Park, the ones you've seen in all those New York movies.

He said 'We are going to quickly and aggressively move to make horse carriages no longer a part of the landscape ... They are not humane, they are not appropriate for the year 2014. It's over.'

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bill-de-blasio-won-horse-controversial-carriages-article-1.1561981

I'd never even considered that working a horse could be considered inhumane. Does that mean riding a horse is inhumane too?

He's clearly an idiot, yes they are in realty our slaves, but most people care very deeply for their horses and treat them with much care. What does he suggest should happen when they can no longer be used for working, should they be allowed to roam free or are we going to eat them.

To be fair, I think that the candidates are responding to very prominent media about the number of horses that have died in recent times pulling the carriages in Central Park. Whilst the working horses may be great for tourism, knowing that one a fortnight is dropping dead in public whilst doing the work, in full view of the world's tourist cameras is really not good for the city.

I wouldn't be banning the carriage rides (after all, most ex-working horses are destroyed when they retire- that's not so good for animal welfare, is it?) but I would certainly be trying to get to the bottom of why the death rate is so high.

Are the horses not being given sufficient health checks, vet care, water whilst working? Are they being worked whilst they are sick or too old? The carriages aren't excessive weight for a horse to pull so it must be something else.

It strikes me that it would be a whole lot more positive to get to the bottom of what is actually happening and thereby ensure better lives for the working animals in future.

A major part of the problem is the traffic fumes. Think how busy the roads round central park are and walking around the outside exposes them to all the fumes.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

............ knowing that one a fortnight is dropping dead in public .......... .

Where did that come from?

I don't think that it is true.

Charlie died in 2011. But I've only seen figures that show 3 deaths and 20 injuries from traffic incidents and bolting.

They don't have much of a life with cramped stabling and no days off, but I hope that someone is going to ensure a safe retirement home for them when the ban goes ahead.

I wonder if he's in PETA.

A major part of the problem is the traffic fumes. Think how busy the roads round central park are and walking around the outside exposes them to all the fumes.

How is that different for anyone in New York? The quality of air doesn't magically get better if you're inside a car.

How is that different for anyone in New York? The quality of air doesn't magically get better if you're inside a car.

If people drove around central park repeatedly for 12 hours with the Windows down every day I'd agree with you.

Most people drive to and from their destination. They don't drive round the city constantly.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived