Sharing Economy Required

Seeing as we live in an ever more wasteful world of cyclical consumption, a world that ships goods thousands of fuel polluting miles across the globe, to be bought and owned for limited periods before being discarded into toxic landfills that have damaging effects on surrounding environments, environments which have been sacrificed to feed corporate greed and planned obsolescence that is a never ending cycle of damaging "one-use" societies that we sadly live in.

Instead of people having to buy goods to use only a few times while most goods bought collect dust and are discarded because products are never built to last any more and have their inherent quality diminished immediately to serve the higher elite.

Here is a welcome and initiative that can properly serve the needs of humans, a place to rent the things you need and you return it.

http://blog.thezeitgeistmovement.com/blog/vincenzo-barbato-italy/sharing-economy-expands-torontos-east-side?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheZeitgeistMovementOfficialBlog+%28The+Zeitgeist+Movement+Official+Blog%29

After a long summer of renovations, the Institute for Resource-Based Economy (IRBE) is proud to announce the opening of a Tool Library in Toronto!

A Tool Library is like a library, but rather than books, it lends tools and machines to design or repair items.

This approach lowers the unnecessary consumption of tools, such as a drill that is used a few hours in a year, reduces the consumption of resources to build them, saves on shipping and transport, and spreads the collaborative philosophy and thriftiness.

With a small annual subscription (from $50 to $100) members can take advantage of the full range of tools. These subscriptions can also be deducted through free hours of volunteer work.

The Tool Library contains many courses that teach a variety of skills, such as how to build a 3D printer, how to assemble a PC, how to install Linux, etc. Imagination is the only limit!

The space of this Tool Library is three times larger and includes an on-site Makerspace with a 3D printer and a woodworking shop fully stocked. Now you can build your dream projects on the spot instead of buying them at the superstore.

I think like a library, we should have stores that rent things instead of sell them, why have a car that sits on the drive half the year, why have sheds full of tools when you hardly even use them, why have electrical gear when they are never used, why have car parks when vehicles can run on tram lines and self park themselves in designated areas.

So to save on (global) emissions that everyone incurs buying their own drill we now need to drive to the tool library everytime we need to use one?

Sorry but it sounds like someone hasn't thought it through fully.

I may not use my drill very often, but I did buy it nearly a decade ago and it'll only get replaced when it dies.

People should be able to live their lives how they like and if that involves driving pointless journeys, using too much power and burning fossils fuels for the sake of it so be it. I don't like how the green cause is being used by some to try and force people to adopt a alternative lifestyle. I'm as concerned about the environment as the next man and believe the way we move forward is by projects such as the one at Drax power station where it's being converted into a nuclear plant. And it should also be mandatory that new-built council homes have solar panel on the roof. Also we need to make our public transport as clean as possible by investing in more. Hybrid buses and extending the tram network. Also moving away from diesel trains and instead investing in a electric rail system will make a real difference. The environment is under threat but the main cause isn't my Aygo. So if I want to drive 100 meters to the shops I will (I never have done by the way!)

Please note: I know your post didn't say anything about forcing people out of cars and onto push bikes and buses but many so called Greens do advocate that. Which i personally find odious. We get one shot at life and if driving a big polluting car or leaving all the lights on for no reason makes you happy. Then that's fine.

So to save on (global) emissions that everyone incurs buying their own drill we now need to drive to the tool library everytime we need to use one?

Sorry but it sounds like someone hasn't thought it through fully.

I may not use my drill very often, but I did buy it nearly a decade ago and it'll only get replaced when it dies.

Maybe there are problems, but it is a move in the right direction.

The point is we simply cannot carry on as we have been doing, things have GOT to change. It is not beyond the wit of man to solve these problems and come up with some good ideas that work.

However they will inevitably come up against big business and corporations in whose interest it is that we continue to consume in order for them to make more money. We have to get them on board as it will require a whole new way of thinking in just about every area. They are the only ones with the clout to make it happen, forget governments - these guys can run rings round them.

How that is going to happen heaven knows, but without it we are writing our own long term death warrant.

Greater recycling of everything needs to happen, but the problem is no-one seems particularly bothered doing it - it seems more like a token gesture and a grab for the easy stuff than a concerted effort.

The buck stops with the government, they need to invest much more into research to broaden the range of things that can be recycled and improve efficiency.

Greater recycling of everything needs to happen, but the problem is no-one seems particularly bothered doing it - it seems more like a token gesture and a grab for the easy stuff than a concerted effort.

The buck stops with the government, they need to invest much more into research to broaden the range of things that can be recycled and improve efficiency.

Agree, but again it needs to start higher up the chain. We need to stop building obselesence into products so they wear out faster - build to last, remove 80% of the packaging industry, increase the cost of raw materials (not for profit, the money should go towards reclaiming and recycling development.)

We need to stop seeing 'stuff' as a status symbol and start judging people by who they are and not how much they've got.

Archived