Why do people put themselves at risk when warned not to?

Ski-ing is fine. Just ask Schumacher and Angela Merkel....

You are aware that the loaction the photographer was standing in was a lot more dangerous then than the location that the people are in was?

Not that any are in any real danger at all there actually - the promenade end at Porthcawl has a lot of rock protecting it, unlike the breakwater beyond it which is where all the waves are actually being generated.

But hey, it's the Daily Wail stirring crud again. There's a surprise...

I am sure they do, but if you want to do that then fine. Can't complain if it all goes wrong. Putting your kids in the same situation then it's a whole different game.

The people that like to take risks aren't complaining though, its the people that don't like to take risks that are doing all the complaining. Do you actually think that the RNLI or Mountain rescue are made up of people that don't enjoy risk.

Obviously some people don't manage the risk very well and they either die or are saved by other risk takers.

You are aware that the loaction the photographer was standing in was a lot more dangerous then than the location that the people are in was?

Not that any are in any real danger at all there actually - the promenade end at Porthcawl has a lot of rock protecting it, unlike the breakwater beyond it which is where all the waves are actually being generated.

But hey, it's the Daily Wail stirring crud again. There's a surprise...

It all depends... using a telephoto lens, the photographer could be a distance from the sea.

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 21:32 ----------

The people that like to take risks aren't complaining though, its the people that don't like to take risks that are doing all the complaining. Do you actually think that the RNLI or Mountain rescue are made up of people that don't enjoy risk.

Obviously some people don't manage the risk very well and they either die or are saved by other risk takers.

Oddly, you couldn't be further from the truth if you tried. When I was stationed up at RAF Leeming, a few of my friends were with the RAF Mountain Rescue Team and they were the very kind of people who disliked being put in harms way, especially by idiots who thought their own risk taking was ok.

It all depends... using a telephoto lens, the photographer could be a distance from the sea.

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 21:32 ----------

Oddly, you couldn't be further from the truth if you tried. When I was stationed up at RAF Leeming, a few of my friends were with the RAF Mountain Rescue Team and they were the very kind of people who disliked being put in harms way, especially by idiots who thought their own risk taking was ok.

They must have been the odd ones out, the people I know in mountain rescue are climbers and hill walkers and both activities are by there very nature risky. I can't think why someone adverse to risk would even consider becoming a member of mountain rescue or joining the RAF.

They must have been the odd ones out, the people I know in mountain rescue are climbers and hill walkers and both activities are by there very nature risky. I can't think why someone adverse to risk would even consider becoming a member of mountain rescue or joining the RAF.

Which rescue team they with? I might know them... :) I'm sure they are climbers and hill walkers, but I bet you any money they wouldn't do those in adverse conditions.

Unlike the idiots who are ignoring the warnings and having a look at the extreme swells hitting the coastline. I suppose the warnings from the amateurs such as the coastguard, rnli and other services should be ignored. I mean, what do they know, hey? Suppose the experts on the forum know better :)

.......... but when you can see that the waves are higher than the lighthouse you know they're big....

Except that the waves in that photo are not higher than the lighthouse.

That is a wonderful image of nature's beauty as a result of heavy waves and strong winds blowing the spray high up in the air back against the swell.

Which rescue team they with? I might know them... :) I'm sure they are climbers and hill walkers, but I bet you any money they wouldn't do those in adverse conditions.

Then they are missing half the fun.... I was out New Years Day in the rain and howling wind having a whale of a time climbing Penyghent. The Scouts had a great time as well.

---------- Post added 07-01-2014 at 00:52 ----------

Not really. If you look at the angle of the esplanade and the end of the breakwater it's fairly clear there is only one place that the photographer can be. He's about ten yards from the rocks and well away from the coast road

Then they are missing half the fun.... I was out New Years Day in the rain and howling wind having a whale of a time climbing Penyghent. The Scouts had a great time as well.

Rather irresponsible don't you think?

Taking a group of scouts out climbing in this weather?

Living where I do (some 1,000 feet above sea level) I'm used to hill walking in the mountains.

It never crossed my mind to venture out in this weather, never mind taking a group of youngsters.

To answer the Op.......I guess some folks are just idiots.

Rather irresponsible don't you think?

No.

Taking a group of scouts out climbing in this weather?

There was a problem with the weather beyond the usual rain in winter? Snow would have been a different matter admittedly as we havent done ice axe work with them yet so we'd have found something a little lower down instead.

Living where I do (some 1,000 feet above sea level) I'm used to hill walking in the mountains.

It never crossed my mind to venture out in this weather, never mind taking a group of youngsters.

I best not tell you what we were doing last winter then.

To answer the Op.......I guess some folks are just idiots.

And I guess some people don't have a good sense of risk assessment.

Yes you can stay perfectly safe and try and ensure that your environment is perfectly safe but it's very boring.

Just for the record I was out enjoying the countryside on New Year's Day.

I chose to drive (towing my caravan) 200 miles over the holiday period.

Picked the right day when the winds dropped, and enjoyed an enjoyable new year in Lincolnshire camped behind a pub with friends.

The return journey....I delayed by a day due to high winds.

It's all about risk management.

Life doesn't have to be boring but common sense should prevail.

Archived