Is Evander Holyfield homophobic?

Apparently the once great heavyweight engaged his mouth before his brain in the Big Brother house last night when proclaiming being gay 'aint normal'.

Whilst he's entitled to his opinions many will find them odious and given he signed a contract before entering the house regarding unacceptable behaviour-taking a fat cheque in compensation, perhaps he should have kept his big gob shut?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/celebrity-big-brother-2014-evander-holyfield-cautioned-over-gay-aint-normal-remarks-9040932.html

Being gay aint normal. Its abnormal according to religion. Perhaps hes very religious in which case his comments are perfectly acceptable.

I agree, but it doesn't really answer my question-should people be able to air their views on national tv irrespective of how offensive they are?

It's a weird one really. Big Brother state that people could get offended by his comments, yet it was them that chose to air them.

It depends what that opinion is, after all given the tone of some of your posts you've often been offended by someone expressing an opinion.

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 16:55 ----------

You described me as homophobic for jokingly using the expression 'set o'poofs' :)

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 16:58 ----------

I agree, but it doesn't really answer my question-should people be able to air their views on national tv irrespective of how offensive they are?

With regards to your last point, I think it depends on the programme.

Given that Celebrity BB will be watched by teenagers, some of whom may be struggling with theur sexuality I don't think it's appropriate.

As a gay adult I'm secure with my sexuality and at ease with myself, it doesn't bother me what Holyfield thinks. However if I was a 15/16 year old who watched Celebrity BB, and felt feeling insecure and unsure (which I did at that age) then his comments certainly wouldn't have done anything to bolster my self esteem.

I guess what programme makers need to look at is the nature of the material being showed and assess whether it is suitable for the audience it is aimed at, or who would be likely to be watching it.

Being gay aint normal. Its abnormal according to religion. Perhaps hes very religious in which case his comments are perfectly acceptable.

Acceptable to him, but not to others. And being gay is normal to me and other gay people, not to you.

As I said in my previous response to BF, his comments don't exist in a vacuum, but where gay boys and girls are more likely to self harm, suffer with a range of mental health difficulties, and unfortunately some take their own life.

Now I'm not saying that one comment is going to cause that, but for me it's about there being a wider culture of respect being fostered, and programme makers accepting their responsibility as key players in the creation of this wider culture.

I think there is a space for people to air their views, but it shouldn't be a programme where there is no forum for those views to be challenged; and it shouldn't be on a programme watched by children whose self concept is developing.

I suppose my views are informed by my experiences growing up gay.

So you believe people should be permitted to air their views on national tv irrespective of how offensive they are?

It will be a sad day when people aren't allowed to express their opinion on national TV. It may already have happened.

What would Voltaire have said?

He would have said "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Well I'm not going to defend Mr Holyfield to the death, but you get the gist...

Acceptable to him, but not to others.

As I said in my previous response to BF, his comments don't exist in a vacuum, but where gay boys and girls are more likely to self harm, suffer with a range of mental health difficulties, and unfortunately some take their own life.

Now I'm not saying that one comment is going to cause that, but for me it's about there being a wider culture of respect being fostered, and programme makers accepting their responsibility as key players in the creation of this wider culture.

I think there is a space for people to air their views, but it shouldn't be a programme where there is no forum for those views to be challenged; and it shouldn't be on a programme watched by children whose self concept is developing.

I suppose my views are informed by my experiences growing up gay.

Children are vulnerable to all sorts of insecurities. They may be overweight, too thin, spotty, a loner, ginger... etc... all of which can bring the bullies a hovering.. we should be teaching them to stand up for their rights and hide away...

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 17:23 ----------

Channel 5 have acted very poorly in relation to this event. They said the comments were offensive but then aired them. Me thinks they are really more interested in ratings than who gets offended....

If a homosexual said that it was unnatural for him to have sex with a woman and the thought made him feel sick, would it have received the same attention?

I'm heterosexual and the thought of having sex with some women makes me feel sick. :gag:

And I'm sure some women feel the same when they see me. :D

Children are vulnerable to all sorts of insecurities. They may be overweight, too thin, spotty, a loner, ginger... etc... all of which can bring the bullies a hovering.. we should be teaching them to stand up for their rights and hide away...

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 17:23 ----------

Channel 5 have acted very poorly in relation to this event. They said the comments were offensive but then aired them. Me thinks they are really more interested in ratings than who gets offended....

Yes I agree with this, but if young people are to be taught this there are better ways than Channel 5 simply airing someones odious views and waiting for the public to tell the young person to stand up for themselves.

Archived