Business Idea - Deuterium based sports drink

So, like the title says, we were talking at work and came up with the idea of marketing a deuterium based sports drink.

We can probably come up with some clever marketing about super powers (results not guaranteed) and how the low % of deuterium in your body will increase the rate of absorption...

Any comments?

So, like the title says, we were talking at work and came up with the idea of marketing a deuterium based sports drink.

We can probably come up with some clever marketing about super powers (results not guaranteed) and how the low % of deuterium in your body will increase the rate of absorption...

Any comments?

Deuterated water in sufficient quantity is quite lethal as it screws up the osmotic pressure in the cells. You'd have to drink it for a considerable period of time however. You get certain deletrious effects well below lethality many due to screwing up various enzyme reactions. It also tends to make your blood pressure fall through the floor as well....

Now if you were to drink heavy water with a heavy oxygen isotope it gets much more interesting and you can have problems at much lower concentrations, but again it's not that likley due to the cost of the stuff...

So you could market it as living dangerously I suppose.. just stick a picture of a radioactive gamma spider on the front, people will buy it....

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 16:25 ----------

It's heavy water... I think...it has a different isotope of hydrogen in it compared to "ordinary" water..

Ordinary light water is H2O

Semiheavy water has a single atom of deuterium - HDO

Heavy water has two atoms - D2O

Deuterium is a hydrogen atom with a proton and a neutron, thus being twice the mass as a normal hydrogen atom more or less.

Deuterated water in sufficient quantity is quite lethal as it screws up the osmotic pressure in the cells. You'd have to drink it for a considerable period of time however. You get certain deletrious effects well below lethality many due to screwing up various enzyme reactions. It also tends to make your blood pressure fall through the floor as well....

Now if you were to drink heavy water with a heavy oxygen isotope it gets much more interesting and you can have problems at much lower concentrations, but again it's not that likley due to the cost of the stuff...

So you could market it as living dangerously I suppose.. just stick a picture of a radioactive gamma spider on the front, people will buy it....

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 16:25 ----------

Ordinary light water is H2O

Semiheavy water has a single atom of deuterium - HDO

Heavy water has two atoms - D2O

Deuterium is a hydrogen atom with a proton and a neutron, thus being twice the mass as a normal hydrogen atom more or less.

So try tritium? If 2 atoms of H are good, maybe 3 will be even better.

So try tritium? If 2 atoms of H are good, maybe 3 will be even better.

TRitium is a radio source though and will make you quite ill if ingested I suspect... it might only be a lowish power beta source but I'd not want that inside me...

Any comments?

Add another neutron to the deuterium and you can market it for its glow in the dark properties. :)

Archived