Social Housing On New Developments

Probably going to open can of worms, but here goes.

Does anyone have any experience of living on a new development where there is a small percentage of 'affordable housing'. And would you consider buying a new build if there was a percentage of 'affordable housing'?

Probably going to open can of worms, but here goes.

Does anyone have any experience of living on a new development where there is a small percentage of 'affordable housing'. And would you consider buying a new build if there was a percentage of 'affordable housing'?

Can I ask what associations you're making between affordable houses and the people who live in them?

Can I ask what associations you're making between affordable houses and the people who live in them?

The feeling I get is that the majority of people in affordable housing are problem families that don't have respect for an area or neighbours. But I'm not looking for middle class social bashing, just real experiences, good and bad.

The feeling I get is that the majority of people in affordable housing are problem families that don't have respect for an area or neighbours. But I'm not looking for middle class social bashing, just real experiences, good and bad.

I live in social housing. I have a great deal of respect for the area I live in.

I live near the city centre, and often on Friday and Saturday nights people use the ginnel near the property that I live in as a place to urinate. I have no idea of the housing status of the men who stink the ginnel out with their urine - some will be proud owner occupiers, some will be students renting privately.

I and many of the residents who live on the small estate keep it clean and tidy for others.

Those are my experiences.

And would you consider buying a new build if there was a percentage of 'affordable housing'?

Not a chance in hell.

Most are OK but who can tell who'll you get?

This may be news to some but a lot of people prefer to live in or aspire to move to quiet, middle-class areas because they want to reduce the possibility of living next to anti-social scumbags.

The Police crime map is rather illuminating in these cases.

Not a chance in hell.

This may be news to some but a lot of people prefer to live in or aspire to move to quiet, middle-class areas because they want to reduce the possibility of living next to anti-social scumbags.

Maybe those in social housing feel the same about moving into a development where there are owner occupiers.

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 20:40 ----------

Not a chance in hell.

I should also have added that on the development where I live the people I talk to like a nice quiet life and don't want to be woke up by drunken people screaming, fighting and throwing up. Like I say some will be owner occupiers, students renting privately, and those living in council or housing association properties.

I live in social housing. I have a great deal of respect for the area I live in.

I live near the city centre, and often on Friday and Saturday nights people use the ginnel near the property that I live in as a place to urinate. I have no idea of the housing status of the men who stink the ginnel out with their urine - some will be proud owner occupiers, some will be students renting privately.

I and many of the residents who live on the small estate keep it clean and tidy for others.

Those are my experiences.

Thanks for that. Out of interest, do you have a shared ownership or is it completely council owned?

I suppose thinking about it, private landlords could be worse as they don't real care who they rent to. Council tenants generally have t be well behaved or they get evicted far easier. And with new build anyone could end up as your neighbour, privately owned or not, it's a gamble.

Thanks for that. Out of interest, do you have a shared ownership or is it completely council owned?

I suppose thinking about it, private landlords could be worse as they don't real care who they rent to. Council tenants generally have t be well behaved or they get evicted far easier. And with new build anyone could end up as your neighbour, privately owned or not, it's a gamble.

It's completely owned by the Housing Association. They are in the main very good and very responsive to tenant's feedback.

I did hear a while ago that new developments over a certain size have to have a small proportion reserved for social tenants, or those wanting part ownership. I wasn't sure of how true that was

What happens to the unaffordable housing on these developments pls?

Archived