New driving technique in Yorkshire!

Big deal.

With all thats going on in the world,this is what the BBC spend their resources on.

No doubt it was a perfectly straight road and it posed no danger whatsoever.

If you watch the video clip you'll see it wasn't. Given that he claimed to be steering with his knees as part of his defence that also suggests it wasn't straight.

Poor bugger will have to retake his driving test which is mandatory when convicted of dangerous driving.

I think driving without due care or careless driving would have been more appropriate.

I don't see what the problem is as long as the driver is in control, and he appeared to be in control in the video.

Just like the driver below, why shouldn't he be allowed to drive.

A MOTORIST with no arms is facing jail for defying a court order banning him from driving.

Mike Hamill, who drives his automatic Volvo with one foot on the wheel and one on the accelerator, said he drove on because the ban was "degrading, inhumane and subjected me to utter humiliation".

He lost his arms to a rare illness in 1991 and taught himself how to steer his car with his left foot, using his right to control the pedals. Mr Hamill, of Chorlton, Cheshire, drove for eight years without a hitch until a neighbour reported him to police.

Mr Hamill, 44, faces six months in prison when he returns to court today for defying the ban. He said: "After I was banned I did stop driving for a while but I could not cope. It was a terrible, ridiculous decision to expect me to cope without my car."

In 1999 magistrates in Manchester disqualified him from driving for 12 months and ordered him to resit a test. But Mr Hamill claims the order cannot be enforced under the law.

Presumably he wasn't going to grow his arms back before resitting his driving test.

It is pretty much a non-story, if we are now putting drivers like this to the sword than what about the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people that still use their phone whilst driving, or the countless people just looking at their sat-nav, or the tail-gaters in wet weather conditions.

I'd much rather see those hit the headlines than one poor sod who was bored with his drive and used his knees to steer.

PS: hardly new, I remember vividly that my dad used to roll his ciggies in the car whilst steering with his knees, he hasn't done it for decades, but back then we didn't exactly have seatbelts either...

It is pretty much a non-story, if we are now putting drivers like this to the sword than what about the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people that still use their phone whilst driving, or the countless people just looking at their sat-nav, or the tail-gaters in wet weather conditions.

I'd much rather see those hit the headlines than one poor sod who was bored with his drive and used his knees to steer.

PS: hardly new, I remember vividly that my dad used to roll his ciggies in the car whilst steering with his knees, he hasn't done it for decades, but back then we didn't exactly have seatbelts either...

Totally agree, I really hate people who use phones, not that its my business what they do, but their driving seems appalling, and you know straight away when you see their hand stuck to their face, whats the point of the useless fine/points system? Ban them for a month, that would do the trick, and I can honestly say ive never used a phone whilst driving, to busy watching out for daft chuffs.

What a cretin. Im glad he was banned. We need less of his type on the roads. One thing that im confused by though, what was the victim surcharge for? Where was the victim?

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 22:33 ----------

I don't see what the problem is as long as the driver is in control, and he appeared to be in control in the video.

Just like the driver below, why shouldn't he be allowed to drive.

A MOTORIST with no arms is facing jail for defying a court order banning him from driving.

Mike Hamill, who drives his automatic Volvo with one foot on the wheel and one on the accelerator, said he drove on because the ban was "degrading, inhumane and subjected me to utter humiliation".

He lost his arms to a rare illness in 1991 and taught himself how to steer his car with his left foot, using his right to control the pedals. Mr Hamill, of Chorlton, Cheshire, drove for eight years without a hitch until a neighbour reported him to police.

Mr Hamill, 44, faces six months in prison when he returns to court today for defying the ban. He said: "After I was banned I did stop driving for a while but I could not cope. It was a terrible, ridiculous decision to expect me to cope without my car."

In 1999 magistrates in Manchester disqualified him from driving for 12 months and ordered him to resit a test. But Mr Hamill claims the order cannot be enforced under the law.

Presumably he wasn't going to grow his arms back before resitting his driving test.

Mark Hamill?

Perhaps he drives using the force? lolz

Here for "victim surcharge": http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/sentencing/victim-surcharge.htm

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 23:05 ----------

Poor bugger will have to retake his driving test which is mandatory when convicted of dangerous driving.

I think driving without due care or careless driving would have been more appropriate.

I believe it will be an extended test.

What, in your mind, would make someone's driving dangerous, then?

Mind you, you are in good company - XT can be counted on to defend the indefensible and find some anti-corporation message to peddle.

Archived