Private reg plate to take off advise please

hi ive got a private reg plate on my car thats off the road sorned at the moment its motd till april but has no tax , im wanting my plate off it for retention , ive sold the car to my mate down the road , would it be better for him to buy the car with the plate on , tax it and insure it , then he can apply to retain my plate and me pay for him to do it , as im told i cant retain it without it being taxed or if i do apply he might not be able to tax the car etc ect , he wants the car in a couple of days any help would be great. cheers:P

The retention will be in the name of the registered owner but you can go on the certificate as a nominee which means you can put it on a vehicle if you wish, at which time it becomes yours.

If you want to sell it on then that would be hard as there can only be one nominee on the certificate,if thats you then there is no ownership status for whoever buys it.

I believe the nominee can only transfer it to a vehicle that they are the registered owner of.

So either apply to retain it before you transfer ownership of the car or become the nominee and put it on your car, then apply for retention of it yourself and your buyer then becomes the nominee and can then use it. Thats assuming you are wanting to sell it on.

If youre keeping it for yourself its not such a problem.

There are costs involved for retention and changes of nominee.

Better to put it on a car than a certificate because dvla wont tell you when youre due to reapply to retain it and if you dont they get it back by default and youve lost it!

Hope that helps.

its not taxed at the moment and sorned but if he insures it and he taxes it i can apply then carnt i then he can take the car but wont have the log book until i get it back , but if he breaks any red lights or speeds then ill get done lol

Archived