Time to overhaul the law courts?

Scargill was right. He's always been smeared by the press. For you Anna B to start clucking is ridiculous. What else could he do? Ask for the best terns possible?

The real Heroes were the miners (on both sides) and their families, who truly suffered for what they believed in.

Other businesses have similar overheads, but the legal profession still seem to be a tad bit expensive. Perhaps if they charged a fair price that everyone could afford, they'd be little need for the taxpayers involvement?
The legal profession by and large charge a "fair price", dictated as it is by the open market and, accordingly, commensurate with the level of skill, knowledge, experience and liability required of a practitioner for the case pursuant to the field of legal practice/speciality.

Your Legal Aid criminal solicitor in Sheffield is not going to be on the same rate as a mergers and acquisitions senior partner of a City law firm, neither will either be at the rate of a Welsh conveyancing solicitor <etc.>

Perhaps if 'everyone' understood what the job of a solicitor is and how the legal profession makes a living, there would be little need for defending it from clueless and baseless accusations of profiteering.

I regularly staff free-attendance/free-of-charge patent clinics held by Sheffield and Leeds libraries. Have done so for years, doing my bit for my Chatered Institute, and 'for the communities' I suppose. Call it Intellectual Property Legal Aid. Now, attendees get about £150 to £200 worth of professional advice, which they'd otherwise get a bill for. Do you think they'd at least take some notes of the advice? Do they f*** :|

The real Heroes were the miners (on both sides) and their families, who truly suffered for what they believed in.

What a twee cliche. The working miners didn't truly suffer at all, they simply carried on making money while others suffered to save their industry. They only suffered when they all lost their jobs due to Heseltine ten years later, that wa their own fault anyway. Do you have any original insight?

The word hero is very subjective.

Al Qaeda terrorists truly suffer for what they believe in. They certainly aren't heroes to me but I've no doubt they are to some.

My view is that standing up for ones beliefs doesn't make a hero to all. It takes more than that.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

What a twee cliche. The working miners didn't truly suffer at all, they simply carried on making money while others suffered to save their industry. They only suffered when they all lost their jobs due to Heseltine ten years later, that wa their own fault anyway. Do you have any original insight?

The reason I said 'miners on both sides' is because the working miners paid by losing friends and respect in their communities. I'd prefer it you kept the personal comments out of it.

Moosey's comment I can agree with.

Archived