Troll grenade. Cyclist fined for contravening sign. :O

Great, let's all only obey the road signs we agree with.

I didn't mean it was OK to disobey the sign, but that the sign should not have been there.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 14:43 ----------

Was there a ban on cycles in the bus lane? Did I need the audio on the video?

There was a no cycling sign --- only shown briefly in the video, but mentioned by the police (in the audio).

I do enjoy the cycling threads, but they usually get locked. Im sure not all cyclists ride in this idiotic manner, and maybe this lad wont do it again. I think its all about prevention than issuing fines. There are a hell of a lot of people killed on bikes, especially in London, and it does seem to be getting like that everywhere. I did laugh when I heard they were known as "Mamils" (middle aged men in lycra) because that is usually the type you see! Sadly, I dont cycle on the roads anymore, as I really think its suicidal, but I still enjoy an amble round the campsites. Are there too many cars on the roads these days, and has the modern cyclist become cynical to the dangers?

although the instances in the various videos on youtube ARE the extreme ends of stupid behavior both by cyclists and other road users. i think generally its more the other road users mainly bus/hgv/4x4 drivers, that display more aggressive driving attitudes around south yorkshire.

maybe its because they generally dont bother about any other road users at all.

although the instances in the various videos on youtube ARE the extreme ends of stupid behavior both by cyclists and other road users. i think generally its more the other road users mainly bus/hgv/4x4 drivers, that display more aggressive driving attitudes around south yorkshire.

Van drivers are by far and away the worst people on the road in South Yorkshire.

I didn't mean it was OK to disobey the sign, but that the sign should not have been there.

There was a no cycling sign --- only shown briefly in the video, but mentioned by the police (in the audio).

What about the red light he went through, or the pedestrian crossing?

What about the red light he went through, or the pedestrian crossing?

I already expressed my disapproval of running the red light.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 20:48 ----------

Van drivers are by far and away the worst people on the road in South Yorkshire.

I'm not convinced that they are worse, and at least van drivers usually have a good reason (carrying tools and supplies) for driving their own vehicles solo to and from work --- unlike most people commuting straight into town at the same time with a briefcase at most.

I always thought that us car drivers were more likely to see cyclists than lorry or bus drivers. Ive sat an a lorry when we were stranded on the M11 a few years back, and the lorry driver was so kind to let us in his cab where it was warm. He was telling us that although he had no hatred toward cyclists, he was very sceptical about how dangerous some riders were. I did take the opportunity to look through his mirror, and to be fair, you couldnt see a lot of the lower area of the lorry, especially around the door area. That said, im sure he was professional in every way, but sadly his vehicle did have areas where you just could not see. He went on to explain that this is where the cyclists and pedestrians were most vunerable, and the actions of the latter could be fatal. It does make you wonder if most collisions are the drivers fault, or whether cyclists/pedestrians just dont see the risk.

It's both really. I've had many a close call with lorries busses and cars mostly due to simple lack of attention on their part.

I was the atypical rebel idiot cyclist and considered nothing but my own safety and the lines I took. In sheffield its harder to be an idiot as the hills make 50% of journeys very slow progress which did use to curb my enthusiasm.

But around town and on the flat, traffic signs, signals, road type and pavements were all wilfully ignored.

The cyclist always has the visual advantage (no blind spots) and the onus is on them to protect themselves.

On this vid though I feel him going through the red and the crossing weren't a problem as he did it in a sensible manner and nobody was put out by his actions.

But that no-turn/access was obviously set up that way to protect cyclists, there are many busses and hgvs in that one shot alone and leading the way round that corner could easily encourage some other cyclist to do it with obvious consequences.

It was a fair cop.

It's both really. I've had many a close call with lorries busses and cars mostly due to simple lack of attention on their part.

I was the atypical rebel idiot cyclist and considered nothing but my own safety and the lines I took. In sheffield its harder to be an idiot as the hills make 50% of journeys very slow progress which did use to curb my enthusiasm.

But around town and on the flat, traffic signs, signals, road type and pavements were all wilfully ignored.

The cyclist always has the visual advantage (no blind spots) and the onus is on them to protect themselves.

On this vid though I feel him going through the red and the crossing weren't a problem as he did it in a sensible manner and nobody was put out by his actions.

But that no-turn/access was obviously set up that way to protect cyclists, there are many busses and hgvs in that one shot alone and leading the way round that corner could easily encourage some other cyclist to do it with obvious consequences.

It was a fair cop.

Its the lemming effect. Most riders should have the sense to obey traffic signs, and hopefully this is the case. When I used to cycle in and out of town to work, some years ago, it just didnt seem as busy or hectic or like a war zone as it is today. Rose tinted, I know, but traffic has changed, and maybe attitudes never will. I do have sympathy for all riders here in Sheffield, but I also have sympathy for drivers who seem to be blamed a great percentage of the time, when its clear that cyclists/pedestrians can be a law unto themselves on occasion. Will education or licencing help? Would fines/bans help? It must work where motorists are concerned, so will fines like this lad got help? I would hope it will, not for police coffers reasons, but just for the deterrent it may produce to get riders to obey the law.

The regulation? Do you mean the law about not going through red lights, then turning into a bus lane and through a pedestrian crossing, with people crossing it?.

No, the traffic regulation order making the route bus only rather than the usual "bus, cycles (pedal and motorised) and taxi"

Although I believe this is "that London" where it is not always an "almost given" that cyclists may use the bus lane, as it is in Sheffield and other cities

You are quite right, it's hardly a deterrent. £60 like a car would be more appropriate.

In case you hadn't noticed he did cut the corner into danger, and was trying to fit down the side of a bus in a rather narrow street.

And they are not just a danger to themselves - I've been injured rather badly by a cyclist turning left on a red and finding me crossing the road.

I was mown down by a cyclist running a light as a child and left with a nasty gash on my head and a concussion. Cyclists ignoring the rules can and do cause injuries, plus they need to be reminded to protect themselves too (they should be getting fines for things like passing lorries on the wrong side).

Archived