£157 for a Doctors Signature

There has always been a charge for a second doctor to sign for a cremation. I remember this when I worked on the wards. It used to be around £30 and was known as 'Ash cash'. A lot of doctors put the fee into ward funds to benefit other patients. One notable doctor pocketed as much as he could - after trying to get out of actually seeing the body. I had many a 'discussion' with him and he stopped trying it on.

Money for old rope IMO

sorry but I thought doctors worked for the nhs and were not private??

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I always thought GPs were self-employed and contracted to the NHS... which means they have to provide premises and staff as well...

A lot of doctors aren't comfortable with receiving the payment and donate it to charity or put it aside in a specific fund that they then use to contribute towards their professional exams or books. It has to be paid by law, they have no choice whether to accept it or not.

Due to a bereavement on Saturday we have had to pay £157 for a doctors signature.

Why and how is this value for money?

And he was off yesterday and no one else can sign it and the waiting process carries on; why?

The doctors receptionists don't see why delaying us making the arrangements is a problem:rant:

Bereavement; who gives a toss. not the doctors and the surgery!!

They are very poorly paid so need the money... not..

A lot of doctors aren't comfortable with receiving the payment and donate it to charity or put it aside in a specific fund that they then use to contribute towards their professional exams or books. It has to be paid by law, they have no choice whether to accept it or not.

That's interesting. Which law, and is there any leeway in the amount charged?

That's interesting. Which law, and is there any leeway in the amount charged?

My bad - a friend told me it was a legal requirement but it appears not. But; they are a hospital doctor and NHS trusts require the payments to be made to the doctor because it isn't part of their NHS duties, they can't 'opt out'.

There isn't any leeway on the fee, it's set by the British Medical Association (who incidentally are of the opinion the fee should be charged to local authorities because the forms are required by law for every death).

sorry but I thought doctors worked for the nhs and were not private??

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I'm not sure now (retired 11 years, out of UK 45 yrs), but as an NHS GP in those days I had a contract to provide certain services. Cremation certificates were not on that list. Nor were immunisations for holidays overseas.

A colleague was charged a large fee when his mother died abroad, and medical certificates were neded to return her body from overseas. Maybe easier now, with European Union.

Archived